Coronation Day

Byleth couldn't help but shiver as they reached Enbarr.

Not because it was cold, but because the atmosphere was so drab. The soldiers all looked grim and solemn, and Byleth subconsciously clutched at the hilt of her sword.

As they made it to the palace, Byleth laid eyes upon an old, frail man with a long beard that came down to below his shoulders. Edelgard bowed her head respectfully.

"Father, forgive me for asking this of you," Edelgard sighed, a sad look upon her face. "I know how much pain you're in..and so..."

"There is no need to apologize, Edelgard," The King of Adrestia shook his head, looking rather relieved that he wouldn't have to serve anymore. "The time has come."

"Thank you, father," Edelgard bowed gratefully and elegantly, a sad smile on her face. "Now, to complete the Imperial succession, you must relinquish your crown here in the throne room. The Archbishop of the Church of Seiros would normally act as witness, but my professor will fill that role instead. From this day forward, the weight of the Empire's future shall rest upon my shoulders. All that I do will be for the benefit of the people of Fódlan."

"Edelgard von Hresvelg..." The King placed the crown upon Edelgard's head as she kneeled down in front of him. "The crown is yours."

"I swear that upon this throne, I shall use my reign to lead Fódlan to a new dawn and achieve peace for all."

"I leave the fate of Fódlan in your capable hands," The King nodded solemnly, backing away from her slightly. Edelgard rose, a firm look in her eyes.

"I know."

———

"Thank you for coming with me, my teacher," Edelgard said, a grateful expression on her face. However, she turned solemn once again. "After the ceremony at the Holy Tomb, I must return to Enbarr. This...may be the last we see of each other."

"Wait, what?" Byleth interrupted, alarmed. The last time she saw Edelgard? But...she didn't want that! "What do you mean? You're dropping out of the Officers Academy?"

"Something like that," Edelgard replied quietly. "No matter what happens...I just want you to know that I appreciated our time together."

"Edelgard-"

"We are out of time, my teacher," Edelgard flashed her a sad, solemn smile. She reached out her hand, and Byleth took it without another word. She couldn't speak. "Everyone is awaiting us...so let us go."

They walked to the Black Eagles classroom in silence. Byleth couldn't take her eyes off of Edelgard the whole time, asking questions with her eyes, but never receiving an answer as Edelgard kept her irises forward steely.

"Are you excited to go to the Holy Tomb, Professor?" Dorothea asked in curiosity and excitement, and her eyes slowly drifted to Edelgard and Byleth's intertwined hands. "Ooh, Professor!"

"What?" Byleth questioned in confused obliviousness, and Edelgard tightened her grip on Byleth's warm hand.

"Well, I just..." Dorothea seemed to be at a loss for words as she looked at the two. "Hehe. I'm telling Petra!"

"Do not go spreading false rumors," Edelgard reprimanded with a stern expression on her hardened features. "Dorothea. Should things go south, I am trusting you."

"Um...okay?" Dorothea shrugged in confusion, not understanding what Edelgard was saying. For once, Byleth didn't feel alone in not comprehending Edelgard's words.

"I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"

Byleth felt a smile grow on her face upon hearing Claude's voice. By this point, she was just used to him poking his head into the Black Eagles classroom, although they were normally alone when he did.

"When are you not?" Byleth teased him, not noticing how Edelgard tightened her grip on her pale hand, or how Claude's gaze shifted to their intertwined fingers in discontent. "What do you need this time, Claude?"

"Well, not that I need anything," Claude shrugged, directing his gaze back up to Byleth. "Just wanted to talk."

"To talk?" Edelgard asked pleasantly, a warm look in her lavender eyes as she smiled almost sinisterly. Luckily, Byleth knew better. "You wouldn't mind if Dorothea and I remained, would you?"

"Nah, nah. No worries," Claude brushed off Edelgard's smug attitude, not particularly caring about her frigidity. After all, he wasn't here for her. "So, Teach. A divine revelation?"

"Apparently. I don't know what that crazed woman expects," Byleth shrugged as Edelgard tightened her grip on her hand. "Perhaps she expects for the Goddess to pop out of me herself."

No. That wasn't possible. Sothis was gone, and Byleth knew that in her heart. But the mysterious and terrifying Archbishop was still hoping and praying that Sothis would resurface, Byleth knew that...

"Well, I sure hope not," Claude winked at Byleth playfully, making her cheeks heat up a crimson red. "I would miss my Teach."

"Ah," Dorothea muttered under her breath, a realizing look on her face as she glanced between Claude and Edelgard. "I think I see the problem... This is awkward."

"I have no doubt that my teacher will be alright," Edelgard reassured Byleth, finally releasing her hand. "And not a word, Dorothea."

"I wasn't planning on saying anything!"

"Good. Then let's head off. I'm sure my teacher would like to say her goodbyes."

Edelgard and Dorothea left the room, and Claude frowned in utter confusion. He scratched the back of his neck, cocking his head to the side.

"Your goodbyes?"

"I don't really understand her most of the time," Byleth shrugged, admitting to her complete obliviousness. "But I like her, so.."

"You like her?" Claude's frown grew deeper at this as that unknown and strange emotion began to foster in his eyes. Byleth nodded in slow confusion. "...Do you know what I mean, Teach?"

"Not particularly," Byleth replied cautiously. "Why?"

"Well...people who...like each other...hold hands," Claude chose his words very carefully. choosing to reach out and grasp her hand in his.

"Right. That's why you're holding my hand," Byleth nodded, rubbing her thumb over his skin as he usually did for her. "...So?"

"Ah...it's nothing, Teach," Claude shook his head, extending his other arm so that he could hold both of her hands. They were cold inside of his warm hands. "You're freezing..."

"Yeah, I don't really know why...but not anymore."

Claude was silent for a moment before flashing her a sincere smile.

"Well, I don't know what Edelgard was talking about..." Claude shrugged as Byleth's hands began to grow warm because of him. "But I'm glad to know my Teach isn't leaving anytime soon. I need you around."

"I agree," Byleth nodded, but for some reason, she felt dread in the pit of her stomach. She felt like she was lying, and she didn't know why. Maybe it had something to do with Edelgard or something, but...

Byleth had the feeling she wouldn't be seeing Claude again.