08

It was now Saturday night and Cailee had come over, trying to convince me to come to the party tonight.

"Please? Josh's house is huge! Perfect for a party," she said as we sat on my bed.

"Trust me I want to go-"

"Then who's stopping you?" Cailee interrupted.

"My mom," I sighed, letting my back hit my mattress.

"C'mon, isn't she out tonight with that guy again?" Cailee asked, getting up and opening my closet doors.

She's right, my mom had been seeing this mystery guy almost every night. She hasn't let me meet him yet and I'm not even sure I ever want to.

"Yeah, but what if she comes home and I'm not here?" I ask, following Cailee over to my closet.

"Where's somewhere you'd be on a Saturday night?" Cailee asked, holding an article of clothing up to my body. It was way too sparkly.

"In bed."

"Come on, Carter! Be serious!"

"I am being serious!" I exclaim as Cailse takes out a pair of black ripped skinny jeans. She holds them out for me to take and I accept. Cailee shoots me a death glare before sifting through my shirts.

"Okay, fine. I'd probably be at the library, studying for something," I shrug as Cailee holds more shirts up to my body, contemplating how they look.

"Really? You're at the library at 11pm on a Saturday night?" Cailee raises her eyebrows and I nod.

"Welcome to my life," I sigh.

"Try this on," Cailee hands me a shirt that I had bought but never worn before. It's a white spaghetti strap cropped tank top.

"What if I get cold?" I ask, stripping and sliding on the black jeans.

"You won't," Cailee laughs, rummaging through my shoes until she finds my black Doc Martens. I accept the shoes and lace them up before studying myself in the mirror.

"You look stunning," Cailee smooths out my hair before putting it in a high pony for me. "Cash is going to be drooling all over you," she adds. I had told Cailee what had happened between Cash and I and Cailee had been extremely supportive.

I honestly don't know what I'd do without this girl.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Cailee takes my hand, heading for my bedroom door.

---

The music was loud. But I could still hear Cailee telling me not let go of her hand as she led me through the house. She was right, it was huge. On the car ride here, I had been picturing everything that could possibly go wrong tonight in my head but, actually being inside the house, it was quite civil. Their were two ping pong tables set up; one for beer pong and another for actual ping pong.

"There she is," a familiar voice came up to Cailee and I.

"Hey, Cash! Carter looks amazing, doesn't she?" Cailee gestures to my outfit and I roll my eyes, feeling a lite self conscious.

"Yeah, she does," I watch Cash lick his lips and I swear, all the blood in my body rushed to my cheeks. "I just wish she would've told me she was coming."

"S- sorry. But, to be fair, I didn't want to come until Cailee showed up at my door, practically begging me to come," I took a look at Cailee who looked like she was looking for someone, completely disconnected from the current conversation.

"Just thought I'd be the first to know if you were coming, that's all," Cash playfully pushed my shoulder and I swear there was a spark of electricity between us.