33

"Hey, dad," Josh was just as shocked as I previously was when he opened the door to the frat and found us standing there. He hugged his dad and my mom and I followed the three of them inside, all of us taking seats on the couch.

"What's going on? Who died?" Josh's eyes widened and he was about to stand up when Mr. Richard's laughed loudly.

"Nobody died, bud, this us good news," the man told his son. I saw Josh's shoulder relax a little before my mother cleared her throat.

"We picked a wedding date," she squealed and Josh, once again, looked as shocked as I was. I turned at the sound of footsteps to see three familiar boys walk down, chattering amongst themselves.

"Wow, already?" Josh seemed to be uncertain about the situation and I promised myself I'd talk to him.about it later. "And you came all the way here to tell me that?" Josh's eyes flickered to me but I just gave him a closed mouth smile, knowing my mother would answer his question.

"Well, we wanted to hang with you and Carter," my mother took Ken's hand and Josh nodded.

"Okay, well we can do that," Josh stood up, gesturing for the rest of us to follow. We all stopped when the rest of them finally noticed Cash, Sam, and Mychael who had been standing at the kitchen island.

"Congrats," Mychael spoke up and Sam sent then both a smile. Cash turned and opened the fridge, pretending like he was actually looking for something.

"Have fun, Carter," Same piped up. I noticed his cheeks turn slightly pink as did mine. "You too, Josh," he added, looking down at the marble counter top.

---

"So how's school been?" Ken asked me and I shrugged, stirring around my straw in the cup of water. We ended up going to some diner but I wasn't that hungry.

"Typical answer," Ken sighed. "Kids nowadays they'll tell you they're doing fine when they're not," he noticed my monotone expression and chuckled. "I'm messing with you," he lightly nudged my shoulder and I cracked a smile to satisfy him.

"Well, I actually have something for you two," my mother reached into her purse and pulled out three envelopes. She handed two to me and one to Josh.

"Offical invitations to the wedding," Ken answered our internal questions. "That one's for Cailee," he pointed at the extra envelope in my hand and I nodded.

"You both get to bring a plus one," my mother excitedly spoke. "Cailee can bring Mav," she added and I cringed, remembering how I left Cailee to hang out with my family.

"So, Carter who you going to bring?" Josh asked, sending me a toothy grin. I looked around with everyone's eyes on me.

"I don't know," I mumbled. "Maybe Sam?" I didn't mean for it to come out like a question but Josh just smirked, putting his head in his hands that rested on the table.

"Cute," he sighed. "I might bring Cash," Josh shrugged. I nearly choked on my water, eyes wide.

"W- why Cash?" I asked. My mom and Ken seemed to have gone off to try and work the old dusty jukebox sitting in the corner of the diner. Josh and I let them have at it even though both of us knew it wasn't going to work. 

"He's a dear friend of mine so why not?" Josh sat up, tracing the rim of his cup with his finger. "Is that okay with you?"

"What's your angle, hm?" I asked, squinting my eyes. "I can't even count the number of girls that go to school here and you're bringing the one boy who despises me right now?" I whispered. Why'd I whisper? I don't know, it just seemed right.

"Oh, I get it," I spoke, chuckling. "You likd Cash," I gasped in fake shock. I knew that wasn't the case but Josh started the conversation so it only felt fair.

"What? Carter don't even start," Josh ran his fingers through his hair and I giggled. "I can't believe you're bringing Sam," Josh drummed his fingers along the table and I played with the envelope in my hands.

"Why?"

"Why? Because, I thought you'd try to bring Cash," Josh answered.

"Cash doesn't want anything to do with me anymore," I rolled my eyes, thinking back to our conversation at the frat house earlier.

"I don't know," Josh dragged out, "he had a lot to say after you left the frat yesterday," Josh sent me another smirk and my eyes widened, leaning over the table slightly.

"Tell me everything."

---

ooohhsjdhabxbsm

bruh i just found out my dad pronounces it "ah-mond" instead of "all-mond" and idk if i'm even related to him at this point