15

The first half of school was boring as always. During lunch, I declined Cash's offer to go to Subway and sat with Cailee in the cafeteria instead.

After lunch, I had math with Cash and when I walked into the room, he was already seated. I will admit, I was impressed that he was here on time for once.

"Hey, so there's this party Mav's hosting at our house tonigh-"

"Yeah, Cash I'm not in the mood for another party," I cut Cash off, already knowing he was going to ask me to go.

"Aw, man, he frowned and sent me puppy dog eyes. "The parties are so boring without you," he pleaded, grabbing my arm and shaking it.

"Sorry," I laughed and retracted my arm from his grip. Students started to file in as I pulled out my notebook.

"Well, then why don't you and I do something together?" Cash asked and I was intrigued. "We could do something just the two of us," Cash offered and I nodded.

"You don't want to go?" I asked, hoping I wasn't prying Cash away from what he really wanted to do.

"Nah, like I said, parties are only fun if you're there," he spoke and the bell rang, signaling class was starting. "We'll plan later," he added in a whisper and I nodded again.

Math went by exceptionally slow and what was even worse was I felt Cash's eyes on me the whole time, making it hard for me to concentrate.

"So, what are we going to do?" Cash asked and I shrugged. "What about the arcade by the boardwalk? You know, that big bright blue building? I've always wanted to go in there," Cash suggested.

"Fine," I said as we made our way out of the school to the parking lot. "But first I have to head home to change," I unlocked my car and Cash did the same to his.

"I'll meet you there," Cash got into his car and followed me the way back to the apartments. We walked up to the door together and I unlocked it, letting Cash in first.

"Oh, is Cash moving in now? What, are you alternating every week?" My mother's fude remarks were heard in the kitchen and I felt Cash grab my hand, lacing his fingers with mine. He gave my hand a gentle squeeze and I led him to my room where I picked out clothes to wear.

"Wait in the hall, I'll be out in a second," I patted Cash's chest and shooed him out my door so I could change.

"Cash Baker? It's been a while," I heard a muffled familiar voice speak in the hall.

Mr. Richards.

"Hey, Mr. Richards," Cash's voice seemed uncertain and I tried my best to tug the leggings up my legs.

"Hopefully you can keep that girl in line," Mr. Richard's laughed to himself and I knew he was talking about me.

"If anything she's keeping me in line," Cash's words warmed my heart and I smiled to myself.

"Well that's," Mr. Richard's paused as if to find the right set of words, "that's great. You and Josh do anything fun lately?"

Okay, now he's trying too hard.

"No, not really."

Good job, Cash. Simple answers.

"Aw, that's too bad," I rolled my eyes at Mr. Ruchards pretend sympathy. "Why not?"

"He's actually been pretty mean to Carter and I don't want to hang around those types of people," Cash snapped and I slipped on his sweatshirt and grabbed my phone.

"Mean? Mean how?"

"Don't even try, Cash," I spoke, opening my door and grabbing Cash's hand. "He has no business knowing what's going on in my life," I tugged Cash out the door, leaving Mr. Richard's on the other side, speechless.

"Look at you being a badass," Cash pressed a hand to my back as we made our way to his car.

"Learned from you," I mumbled and Cash smiled, happy with my answer as hs got in the driver's seat.

"But, Carter, do you think that Mr. Richard's is just trying to get to know you?" Cash asked, starting his car.

"Huh?"

"I mean, Mr. Richard's and your mom clearly seem to be together and maybe he's just trying to get to know you better," Cash explained, pulling out of the parking lot and speeding down the road.

"Um, no," I averted my gaze to look out the window.

"I think he's a good guy in a tough situation," Cash put his blinker on and I snapped my head to face him.

"My mother is dating the guy who's wife dated my father and tore our two families apart," I really hoped my word choice made sense to Cash because it didn't in my head.

"And he's trying to make the best of that situation," Cash spoke.

"Are you taking their side?" I asked, playing with the hem of my sweatshirt. When Cash didn't answer, I took that as an answer in itself. "Take me back to the apartments."

"W- what? Carter, look-"

"Take me to my house," I demanded and Cash pulled into a random driveway, turning the car around. The short drive back to the apartment building was silent, neither of us knowing what to say. I couldn't believe Cash was choosing my mother over me.

"I'll see you at school tomorrow?" Cash asked in a hopeful tone.

"Yeah, maybe," I muttered, getting out of the car and not hesitating to slam the door.

---

if you haven't already, feel free to check out my two stories that are finished

Neighbor is one i've recently finished

The Time We Met is a short story i wrote in under a day