23

"Happy Christmas to my favorite couple," Cailee spoke, enveloping me in a hug. Cash laughed before sending Cailee a wave. She had invited us to her house the day after Christmas so we could have our own hangout with her and Mav.

"We are pretty adorable, aren't we?" Cash mused and I rolled my eyes, a smile on my lips as Cailee led us to the living room where Mav was on the couch.

"What about us? We're adorable," Mav whined, gesturing to himself and Cailee who had sat herself right next to Mav.

"Truth hurts," Cash shrugged and let me sit down on the couch before sitting down himself. A Christmas movie was playing quietly on the TV while I could hear music coming softly from the kitchen.

"So does a poke in the eye," Mav mumbled as he slid an arm across Cailee's shoulders. I don't think Cash heard him, he seemed to be too caught up in whatever movie was playing on the screen. I, however, did hear Mav and I practically snorted at his comeback. Cailee did too as the couple fistbumped each other.

"So," Cailee spoke up, clearing her throat. "I was thinking we could exchange presents now and I have some sugar cookies in the oven that we could frost when they're done. Sound good?" Cailee asked and the rest of us nodded in unison.

Cailee was the first to give her present to Mav. She got him new sweatshirts and a handmade card. In exchange, Mav got his girlfriend some of her favorite makeup and a giftcard to a restaurant they both liked to go to.

I looked over at Cash who was wiping his palms on his jeans. I grabbed a hold on his arm and shot him a small smile.

"You okay?" I asked and Cash nodded.

"Just a little nervous."

"Why don't we go check on the cookies?" Cailee ask Mav but he seemed to be zoning out. Cailee cleared her throat to get he boyfriend's attention. I watched as Cailee gestured to Cash and me, taking her boyfriends hand and dragging him up from the couch.

"I- um-"

"Wait!" I cut Cash off, "let me get my present for you first. I had to drop it off at Cailee's yesterday or else you would've seen what it was if I brought it today," I explained. I felt Cash's eyes on me as I practically tripped down the hall, retrieving what I got for Cash.

"Close your eyes!" I shouted and peeked around the corner to see Cash's eyes screwed shut. "Sorry, it's just that this was too big to wrap so I just... didn't." I watched Cash laugh and brought out what I got for him.

"Can I open?" Cash asked and I mumbled a 'mhm' in response. I watched Cash's face as he examined what was in his hands. "A- a guitar?" His voice cracked and I nodded, feeling giddy.

"Yeah, um my mom was cleaning out her room and she found it," I explained, cracking my knuckles out of habit. "It was my dad's. She was going to get rid of it but it's in perfect condition and I heard you singing in the shower one time when I came over and I thought-"

Cash cut me off with a simple kiss. I could tell he didn't have the words to explain how he felt so he did so by showing me.

"-I thought you were really good," I mumbled, finishing my sentence when Cash pulled away.

"I love it. I... I love it," he repeated, looking down at the guitar and back at me. "I love you," he spoke softly. I felt my lips part and my eyebrows slightly raise.

"I love you," I responded. Cash placed the guitar on the coffee table and pulled out a bag from behind him.

"Here, open this so I can kiss you again," his leg was bouncing and i could tell he was nervous. I brought the gift bag to my lap and pulled out the tissue paper. Inside was a photo album, a pretty medium sized one. I flipped through, seeing that there were two pictures on each page; each one of Cash and me. Whether it be a selfish of us or a picture Cash had taken of me while I wasn't looking.

"Wow," I mumbled, biting on my bottom lip. I got to where there were no more pictures and saw a sticky note in the middle of the page.

'we can fill these pages when we make more memories' it said in messy handwriting. I couldn't help the smile that came onto my face as I practically tackled Cash in a hug.

"Thank you," I spoke into the side of Cash's neck. He sat us up and I was practically on his lap. I didn't pull away until we heard Mav clear his throat.

"Uh- we were going to frost cookies but if you guys are busy.." Mav trailed off and I put the photo album back in the giftbag.

"Oh for God's sake leave the happy couple alone," Cailee smacked Mav's shoulder and he playfully winced, scowling.

She was right. We were a happy couple and in that moment, I wish I could've been prepared for what was going to happen next.

---

bit of a cliffhanger i guess lol

i feel like this story is moving so fast like it was thanksgiving and now its christmas but i'm sorry we're only halfway through the story