13

When I woke up, Cash was no where to be seen. I heard familiar voices coming from downstairs. I padded down the carpeted stairs and was met with Cash talking to my mother by the front door.

"Ah, there she is, missing school today are we?" My mother asked and I checked the time displayed on the microwave.

Does she even care that I didn't come home last night?

"School starts in half an hour, I have time," I answered, playing with the hem on Cash's shirt I was still wearing.

"Are those his clothes? Did he make you come over last night?" My mother gasped and I mentally roll my eyes. "Did you two sleep in the same bed?" Her eyes widened as well as Cash's.

"Yes," Cash made his way over to me, his hand on the small of my back. A simple but effective way to show that he cared. "Those are my clothes, no I did not make her come over, she came on her own," Cash paused and winked at me causing my mouth to open.

"She came to me for comfort and that's what I gave her. I would never make Carter do anything," Cash kept calm and I was astonished by how collected he was.

"She didn't need comfort," my mother scoffed and I found myself stepping even closer to Cash. He seemed to notice since he started to move his hand up and down my back.

"How is Mr. Richards, Ms. Evans?" Cash asked and my mother stiffened.

"That is none of your business," my mother answered. "But, Carter told you, didn't she? Of course she did, she can never keep her mouth shut," my mother pinched the bridge of her nose.

What is she doing? Why is she targeting me?

"I think you should leave," Cash mumbled and he removed his hand from my back.

"I figured you'd want her gone, let's go Carter," my mother held a hand out for me to take and I stepped away from Cash.

He wants me to leave?

"Not her," Cash spoke, gesturing to me. He stepped in front of me and I statrd at the floor. "I meant you," Cash walked over and held the door wide open, my mother's jaw was wide open.

"Fine," she spoke when she finally regained her confidence. She made her way over to me, crouching down so we were eye level but I didn't dare to look at her. "But he broke your heart once, and he'll do it again," she whispered and I bit down on my lip.

I watched my mother strut out of the house and the loud slam of the door made me jump.

"What'd she say to you?" Cash asked, walking over to me. I picked at the hem of my shirt again and kept my eyes on the floor. I felt a cold finger under my chin, picking my head up until my eyes were getting lost in Cash's.

"Nothing," I mumbled. Cash didn't waste another second wrapping his arms around my waist and burying his head in the crook of my neck. I felt him press a soft kiss to my neck and I practically melted.

"Do we have to go to school today?" I asked quietly, wanting nothing more than to just lay in bed with Cash.

"Of course not," Cash pulled away and laced his fingers with mine. "Back to bed?" He asked and I nodded, foleing him up the stairs and back into his room.

"Carter?" Cash whispered into my ear. I groaned and squeezed my eyes shut and I heard Cash laugh.

"What time is it?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.

"It's around four in the afternoon," Cash told me and I sat up quickly.

"We slept all day?" I gasped and Cash nodded, rubbing his own eyes.

"Yeah, and we could've slept longer except, my leg's asleep," Cash spoke and I laughed, watching him stand up and shake his limbs around. "You hungry?" Cash asked and I nodded.

"Subway?" I suggested and Cash quickly nodded. We got into Cash's car, looking like we just crawled out of the sewer with our hair a mess, our clothes baggy, but we walked hand in hand into Subway ready to eat.

And I realized that this is what I wanted forever. To stroll into Subway for dinner with the boy next to me as he indecisivly chose what he wanted in his sandwich.

I knew things weren't going to be perfect for us, it never has been. Someone was going to happen sooner or later and one of us was going to get hurt. And I knew that Cash thought so too.

---

i had no idea how to end this chapter so here you go haha i'm so bad at updating sorry i'm juggling like 3 stories right now anyways bye i love you stay safe and wear a mask