30

I listened to the shower water shut off in the bathroom. I had let Cash use it after he asked to get the stench of alcohol off of him. I had asked him why he couldn't have just gone back to the frat house but he blamed it on the fact that there were still people there.

"Carter?" The boy called me out of my thoughts. I looked over at him to see a towel hung loosely around his waist, his torso glistening with water as his hair stuck to his forehead from being wet. "I don't have a change of clothes."

"Oh," I laughed, peeling my eyes off Cash's body and at the ground. "Wait there," I told him before opening the closet and digging through to the back of it. I pulled out two pieces of clothing that I had brought with me so that I'd never lose a piece of Cash.

"Are those," Cash's voice trailed off as I handed him a grey pair of sweatpants along with a black tshirt that he had given me freshman year.

"Yeah," I nodded off. "I brought them with me," when I saw Cash give me a questioning look, I rolled my eyes. "What? They're comfy!" I argued and Cash chuckled. He headed back into the bathroom and came back out moments later.

"Really?" Cash scoffed and I snapped my head to face him. "Cartoon Network?" He pointed at the TV that was playing the Teen Titans Go theme song.

"I don't need your judgment, Baker," I took a step closer to him, watching his expression soften. "What?" I questioned, tilting my head.

"You're just," Cash paused, stepping towards me, "really pretty," he continued.

"Really?" I furrowed my eyebrows, looking down at myself. "Because look at my hair. It's in the messiest bun I've ever made, this is a tanktop I've had for years, and my face is broke out becau-"

I was cut off by Cash coming close to me, his face inches from my own. His hands were hovering my waist and my breath hitched in my throat when his eyes searched my face.

"I'm sorry," he started, "I- I was ready to do something but I panicked," one of Cash's hands came up to tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear. As Cash went to pull away, I shot my hand out to grip his upper arm, keeping him where he was.

"Don't be sorry," I spoke quietly. I knew Cash wanted to do the same thing I wanted to do.

"Carter," Cash breathed, "I really thought- I really thought I was over you. Trust me," Cash's eyes turned soft and I bit my bottom lip.

"I believe you," I told him truthfully.

"But everytime I look at you, there's this feeling in my stomach and I can't get it to go away," Cash spoke through his teeth.

"Butterflies," I giggled when Cash gave me a questioning look. "The feeling you're getting? It's butterflies."

"Butterflies? Those aren't manly," Cash scoffed, taking a step towards me, causing me to take a step back.

"They aren't ladylike either," I swallowed when I felt my back hit the wall. "Butterflies are gender neutral," my voice was quiet.

"I promised myself I wouldn't do this," Cash mumbled, his thumb grazing my bottom lip.

"Do what?" I questioned.

"Be here, be around you, be close to you," the boy told me. I knew he was telling the truth about not wanting to be close to me because I promised myself the exact same thing.

"Cash," my voice cracked as Cash locked eyes with me. "I'm sorry," I closed my eyes, letting a tear slip out.

"For what?" Cash asked me softly. I let my forehead drop to his chest as he chuckled at my actions.

"For everything," I mumbled as Cash sighed.

"Carter, is it wrong for me to forgive you so easily?" Cash asked and I picked my head up, locking eyes with him once again.

"Yes," I deadpanned, my lips pursed. Cash laughed loudly, bringing on eof his hands back to my cheek, letting his thumb rest on my cheekbone.

"Okay, so I don't forgive you," Cash spoke quietly. "What you did was heartbreaking, Carter," Cash said.

"I know," I whispered. Cash let his lips brush against mine. I wanted to bring my lips a centimeter close but I didn't know if Cash would want that so I let him take over.

"Fuck it," was the last thing I heard Cash say before he slammed his lips into mine. It was messy, but perfect for us. I felt Cash's hands grip my waist to pull me flush against him. I gasped when he pinched my sides, taking the perfect opportunity to slip his tongue into my mouth.

"This is not me forgiving you," Cash mumbled agaisnt my lips.

"I know," I spoke, pulling away before pressing a quick kiss to his lips. Cash kicked his lips before leaning in again, giving me the hint that I should do the same. I let my fingers tangle themselves in Cash's hair, tugging at the roots.

"We're a mess," Cash mumbled, against my lips again. I couldn't help but giggle as his arms wound themselves around my waist, my hands moving to his shoulders.

"A perfect mess," I whispered after pulling away.

I was right, we are a perfect mess. Two of the most opposite words, an oxymoron to be exact. But I didn't care, life's too short to worry about promising yourself not to get close with your ex again. We're way past that and there's no turning back now.

---

oxymorons are so cool

not that anyone cares but i could talk about mandela effects for the rest of my life they're so interesting