16

The next day I saw Cash leaning against my locker.

"Hey," Cash's soft voice made my heart flutter. I stood in front of him, playing with the hoodie strings on my sweatshirt.

"Hi," I mumbled. I was embarrassed from what happened yesterday. I understand where Cash was coming from and I probably went overboard.

"Carter, God," Cash exhaled and took my hands in his. "I'm so sorry if I ever made it seem like I was never on your side. I'm always on your side, okay?" Cash asked. All I did was nod but that didn't seem like an appropriate answer for Cash considering he wrapped his arms around my waist and buried his head in my neck.

"Okay?" He asked again, lightly kissing my neck.

"Okay," I spoke softly but just loud enough for Cash to hear.

"I'll see you during lunch?" Cash asked and I nodded, pulling out of his grasp. He headed down the hall just as Josh approached me.

"Carter," his voice made me jump and I slammed my head against my locker by accident.

"What do you want now?" I groaned, opening my locker and grabbing my biology notebook.

"What was that hug about?" Josh asked and I rolled my eyes.

"Wow, you're just like your dad, always have to know what's going on," the bell rang, signaling we had to get to class but Josh stood right in front of me, blocking my way.

"'Scuse you," I mumbled but Josh didn't budge.

"Have you and Cash made it official yet? 'Cause you know, Carter, that was the dare," Josh raised one eyebrow and I thought about what he said. He was right, Cash and I never did make it official.

"You better get on that then," Josh moved out of the way but I just shook my head.

"I don't want to do the dare anymore," I told Josh but he just laughed.

"Carter, remember when I threw your purple bear in that puddle?" Josh asked and I nodded. "I can keep doing that. I can keep throwing things out until you have nothing left."

"Why? Why torment me like this?"

"Because, I've told you, your dad ripped my family apart," Josh gritted his teeth and I had an urge to roll my eyes but I didn't want to provoke him.

"You know, your mom also took part in that," I watched Josh's eyes turn from smug to sad. He shook his head quickly and got close to my face which only made me take a step back.

"Make this easy on everyone and do the dare, Carter," Josh turned on his heel and walked off and I walked as fast as I could to biology but it was no use, I was already late.

---

"What's got you so down?" Cash asked as I closed my locker at the end of the day.

"Nothing, just, one of those days," I sighed and Cash placed his arm around my shoulders.

"Oh, are you on your-"

"No, you weirdo!" We both laughed and Cash opened the passenger side door of his car. "Cash, what are you doing?"

"You're coming with me," he spoke, taking my backpack off my shoulders and tossing it into the backseat. When I furrowed my eyebrows, Cash smiled. "I want to go to the boardwalk."

When I gave in, Cash drove off to a place we'd been a couple times. The windows were rolled down, a song that I didn't know the name of was playing on the radio, and the boy I had grown fond of again was driving in the seat next to me.

"What are we doing here?" I asked, walking hand in hand with Cash down the boardwalk to a familiar bench.

"I want to do something but now that we're here, it seems too cheesy," Cash's face turned slightly red as we sat on the bench.

"Okay," I dragged out the word as Cash fiddled with my fingers. "What'd you want to do?" Cash pressed his lips to mine quickly before pulling away.

"Be my girlfriend," Cash spoke quietly and I raised my eyebrows. "Please?" He added, his voice cracking a small bit. I pressed my lips to Cash's, letting his thumb caress my cheek.

"Is that a yes?" Cash asked and I nodded quickly, feeling my cheeks grow hot.

"Mhm," I licked my lips before Cash pressed his own against mine. I felt myself getting lost in the moment, tuning out all the background noise of other people playing games at the arcade.

"I should head back to the apartments, right?" I mumbled against Cash's lips and felt him smile.

"Probably, but I don't want to," he pinched my sides, making me gasping as his tongue found it's way into my mouth. I let Cash take over, loving the feeling of him exploring my mouth.

---

y'all i had the best weekend

i hope you did too