35

this is back to carter's pov

---

I opened the door to the dorm room after saying by to my mom and Ken, coming face to face with Cailee in her bed typing on her laptop.

"How you doing?" I cautiously asked, taking a seat on my owen bed and untying my shoes.

"I'll be fine," Cailee shrugged and I placed the two envelopes on the dresser by the TV. "What are those?" She asked, pointing a finger a the white pieces of paper.

"Invites to my mom's wedding," I handed one of the envelopes to Cailee and she carefully opened it. "My mom was hoping you'd bring Mav as your plus one," I headed into the bathroom, coming out with a hairbrush and combing it through my hair.

"We have to go dress shopping," Cailee shut her laptop and stood up, making my eyes widen.

"One, we have two months to prepare," I took Cailee's hand and sat her back down on her bed. "Two, it's late and I have class in the morning."

"Fine. We'll go this weekend," Cailee huffed, placing her laptop on the table beside her bed. "How was hanging out with your parents and Josh?"

"Ken's not my dad," I corrected. "And it went fine. We hung out at the diner and Josh told me what Cash had to say yesterday after I left," I bit my lip to stop myself from smiling.

"Ooh, what?" Cailee snuggled herself under the covers and watched me change into pajamas.

"He was listening in on Sam and Cash talk after I left the frat and the boy had a lot to say," I slipped on shorts and a t shirt before slipping into bed. "He was saying something along the lines of that he wasn't over me," Cailed giggled like a little girl which made me giggle aswell.

"Aw! Is he going to be your plus one to the wedding?" Cailee asked and I went silent. "I'll take that as a no?" Cailee asked and I nodded.

"I'm taking Sam. Josh is taking Cash," I corrected the girl and she gasped.

"This is perfect. Make him jealous by going with Sam," Cailee clapped her hands together and sat up in bed. "This means you need to look twice as hot," Cailee added and I groaned.

"What about you?" I asked and Cailee's face dropped, proving that she already knew who I was talking about. "You have to talk to him."

"I know, I know I just don't know the right time," Cailee got out of bed, grabbing a cup of water.

"Lucky for you, I have my ways," I sat up and Cailee gave me a quizzing look. As if on que, there was a knock on the door.

"Carter," Cailee warned. "What did you do," she opened the door and came face to face with a sad looking Maverick. "What the hell?"

"Hi baby," Mav almost croaked out. Cailee didn't hesitate to wrap her arms around her boyfriend, making me and Mav both smile wide. Mav mouthed me a 'thank you' and I just nodded in return.

"I'm so sorry," Cailee sniffled and Mav wrapped his arms tight around her. I watched in awe at the two standing in the doorway. I heard my phone vibrate on my bed and picked it up, multiple feelings rushing over me as I read the name at the top. Leaving Cailee and Mav to make up, I slipped into the bathroom and sat on the counter by the sink.

"Cash?" I sighed, hearing the familiar sound of music in the background.

"Carter! You answered," Cash giggled and my heart fluttered. "I'm kind of drunk," Cash hiccuped.

"Well you can't come over because Mav and Cailee are here," and because I wouldn't be able to control myself. I kept the last part to myself though.

"Woah Mav's there? And he didn't tell me?" Cash hiccuped again and I rolled my eyes knowing he'd remember none of this in the morning.

"I texted him," I said. "Him and Cailee had a small breakup and I fixed it," I smiled to myself and set my phone down, putting it on speaker as I decided to wash my face.

"You fixed their relationship and not ours?" Cash sounded hurt and I heard the music fading, meaning Cash was probably in his room now.

"Cash, don't pull that card okay? We both know you were the one who didn't want us to happen," I didn't know why I bothered trying to talk to the boy, he would probably be passed out any second now from the alcohol intake.

"But I want us to happen," Cash spoke. "Really badly," he said more quietly this time. I stayed quiet, knowing that my next words would've been 'me too.'

"Cash it's late, I got to go," I kind of lied. It was late but I didn't have to go.

"Okay, but Carter I just want you to know," Cash paused and sighed. "I love you." I smiled way to hard, reaching for the bathroom doorknob.

"I love you too," I whispered and hung up the phone before Cash said something else or before I said something stupid. I knew Cash wasn't going to remember any of our conversation in the morning but I didn't care. I love Cash and you know that they said that drunk words are sober thoughts?

Well that's enough proof I need.

---

ok next chapter is going to be the wedding because if i were to drag it out a few more chapters then those filler chapters would be boring and pointless.