10

It's been a week and things weren't going so bad. Cash and I were doing well and Cailee wouldn't stop talking about how cute the two of us were together.

"Break her heart again and I'll kick you in the balls," Cailee had said when Cash and I told her with the most serious look on her face.

"Mav wouldn't let you do that to me," Cash spoke in a cocky tone.

"Mav was the one who told me to say that actually," Cailee smirked and Cash's face went pale.

"Noted," he said, lacing my fingers with his and leading me to class.

But that was a few days ago and today was Friday and Cash was planning for us to go on a date.

"I'll pick you up at 6, okay?" He asked, kissing my cheek. I looked to see Josh watching us from down the small hallway.

"Uh- yeah see you then," I watched as Cash's eyebrows furrowed together but he then shrugged, leaving me alone in the hall. I opened my locker and was startled by a familiar voice.

"Well, you two seem to be getting pretty close," Josh spoke, making me jump.

"What do you want, Josh?" I slammed my locker shut, making Josh jump this time.

"How was your mom's date last week? You know, the one with my dad," Josh asked. He knew what he was doing and I hated it.

"Shut up," I spoke through my teeth. Josh just chuckled and I wanted to rip all his teeth out one by one. The bell rang, startling me but I was grateful our conversation had to be cut short.

"See you around, Petals," Josh whispered the name he hadn't called me since elementary school. I watched him walk away, imagining a spear going through his back before walking to English. I slounched down in my seat and laid my head in my hands, thinking of my conversation with Josh.

Carter Evans
First grade

I skipped to school in my pink tutu, awaiting for what was behind the big grey doors of my new elementary school. As I cowardly hid behind my mom as she spoke to my principal, I watched other kids hide behind their own parents.

One boy stood out in particular and I watched intently as tears went down his cheeks. He wrapped his small arms around his mom's neck tightly, probably wishing to never let go.

"Have a good day, sweetheart. I'll be waiting for you when you get off the bus," my mom kissed my forehead and I watched her walk out the doors.

Looking out the door window, I saw as my mom talked to the lady I had seen earlier who had been hugged by her crying son.

"Is that your mom?" A boy lisped beside me and I nodded, watching as he looked me up and down. "Why'd you wear a poofy skirt?" He asked, his voice laced with disgust.

"Because that's what my favorite princess wears in the books I read," i responded to him. The principal called all the kids together so she could lead us to our classrooms.

"I'm Josh," the boy stuck his hand out and I took it before he shook them up and down. We walked together before finding out we were in the same class. We weren't able to sit near each other since we were seated in alphabetical order and Josh's last name was Richards and mine was Evans.