What is Love?

Mr. Kim motioned Rosie to take her seat across from him. Rosie silently followed.

"Rosie." Mr. Kim addressed her.

"Da-dad." she stammered.

"How long have you and Jennie been dating?" he asked calmly.

"Uhmm, since last week, dad," she answered without looking because she was afraid to see what's in his eyes.

"And may I know how deep is your feelings for my daughter?" he continued.

"I--, I don't know how deep yet. But being with your daughter felt like nothing but happiness. I think I've been constantly on a cloud nine every time I am with her. It may sound cliché but I cannot imagine myself without her by my side. Mr. Kim, I don't have any intention to hurt Jennie, I can't promise you that this relationship of ours will be hurt-free, but I can promise you that I will never, ever hurt her, intentionally. I love her, I really do. I have never felt something like this before. All I want to ask of you is, can you please, not break us apart? Cos I don't think I can live without her." she said everything with truthfulness.

Mr. Kim was amused with her honesty, and he could only chuckle to himself.

"And who says I would force both of you to break up? Is that how you think of me, Rosie?"

"I don't dad. I would always think of you as someone who will let your daughter be happy with someone, regardless of their gender. And as a father, I would always think of you as someone Jennie and I can count on in times of difficulties." Rosie laid out her thoughts.

"Then why did you think I would break you two apart?"

"Because I have no memory of you being this serious. Every time you would talk to me, you would always have the smile on your face as if you are my real father."

"Rosie, sweetie. Being serious does not always mean tragedy.
Loving someone is a big decision to make. You have to consider everything. You have to consider everything about what food to eat, what dress to wear, what music to listen to, everything.
You have to be patient with each other. You have to be kind and forgiving, even at times like you don't want to. You have to endure jealousy, pride, and disagreements. You have to love each other at your worst. Otherwise, that's not love, it's just a companion.
I am this serious because I want you to understand that, if you let yourself fall in love with someone, you are exposing yourself to the bullets of pains, fears, and disappointments.
I don't want to see the both of you break each other's heart, nor to see your friendship be wasted, that is why I am being this serious." he let out everything as if he was writing a love essay.

"But seeing Jennie like this? I bet she made a good choice. I have never seen her this happy. You make her happy Rosie. I saw that a long time ago. I knew her feelings for you weren't just for friendship. She saw you differently. You made her complete, sweetie, so who am I to take you away from her?" he added.

"Dad, I don't know what to say. I thought you might disapprove of us because we love differently. Not all parents are like you know, considerate, if I may say. But knowing that we have your and my family's support, Jennie and I can be at ease. Though the world may treat us indifferently, we will be able to endure, as long as we have all of you on our side." she said confidently.

"But I think we have considered everything before entering this kind of relationship, dad. I mean Jennie was pretty successful in hiding her feelings for me. And I was a complete fool for not noticing it. She was so ready to keep her feelings left unsaid, for her, friendship is more important than letting me know how she truly feels. For in friendship, there's forever she said. And I said, yeah, that might be true." she said those words as if she was speaking to herself.

"But sometimes, love will push us to do things we have never thought of doing. Love will compel us to disregard possibilities and just live in the moment. For we can't really know what tomorrow could bring. All we have is the now that says, 'It's Now or Never.'" Rosie added.

"hmmmm very well said, Rosie. Just don't hurt my baby, please, I know you would not dare though, but I'd rather say it than be sorry.
You both deserve to be happy. Your mom would be very happy to hear these. Come, I'll walk you outside." he offered gladly.

Mr. Kim opened the door of Jennie's car for Rosie and said, "Take care, drive safely, and please don't tell my baby that you were terrified of me, she might disown me." he joked.

"I'd rather not to, dad," she replied and gave her joyous smile.

"Always remember, Love as if it's your last." he winked at her and sent her home.