Doctor's Duty

"Dr. Nikhil, please report to the emergency ward immediately, we have a critical case." The voice said bringing Nikhil out of his thoughts. He got up from his chair and immediately and walked behind the nurse after picking his stethoscope.

He reached the emergency ward and looked at the girl and the man with wide eyes in shock, both was lying lifeless covered in blood on the hospital beds. Nurse was trying to put oxygen mask on the girl's mouth and clean the injury on her head.

"What happened and what is the current status of the patients?" Nikhil asked the resident doctor who was assisting him after a few minutes calming himself realizing the serious situation in front of him.

"Sir, its an accident case and the man cannot be revived as he passed away on the way to hospital however the girl has severe head injury and in a critical need of a surgery immediately else she won't survive. We have performed the scans and here are the reports." The resident doctor, Dr. Rohit said handing over the file with scan reports to Nikhil.

Nikhil looked at the reports for a few minutes seriously and frowned before he turned to the nurse to give her instructions to prepare the operation theatre.

"Dr. Rohit please call the on call Anaethesiologist and Physician to attend the operation too, we will need their help. Also, is there anyone here from the girl's family? I want to talk to them." Nikhil said and looked at Dr. Rohit for response.

"Umm.. Sir, the belongings of the girl are with police and we don't know how to contact the family. If we wait for the family we might loose the timeline, we have a thin timeframe here." Rohit said and Nikhil nodded.

"Never mind, I know the girl and I will call the family myself." Nikhil said and left the room after giving them few more instructions regarding the operation.

A tear slipped from his eye as soon as he entered his cabin. He wiped the tear, composed himself and fished out his cell phone from the pocket of his apron to dial a familiar number.

"Hello" the familiar voice came from the other end after few rings.

"Pranav, its me Nikhil. You have to come to my hospital right now. Don't tell Vrita as it is not good in her condition to take stress." Nikhil said and hung up without giving Pranav a chance to ask him anything.

He went towards his desk and opened the lower drawer. There was a photo in the drawer with a girl and boy smiling heartedly wearing white aprons and black graduation hats on their heads with their hands on each other's shoulders.

Nikhil touched the girl's face in the photograph with his hand.

"I won't let anything happen to you Shivi" he said and kept the photo back in the drawer before leaving the cabin to go meet his old friend Pranav who lived at a distance of 2kms from hospital and must have reached by now.

When Nikhil reached the reception of the hospital he found his friend running inside the hospital panicked.

"Pranav, this way." Nikhil called Pranav before he could ask the receptionist the way to Nikhil's cabin.

"What happened Nik? Why did you call me at this hour? Is everything alright?" Pranav asked walking fastly beside Nikhil.

"Shivi is in critical condition, she met with an accident. I need family to sign the documents before I can start operating on her." Nikhil told Pranav and they both stopped infront of the operation theatre.

"What? Where did you find shivi? I have been looking for her like crazy." Pranav said shocked.

"We will talk about the details later, we need to save her first." Nikhil said and signaled Pranav to sign the documents held by the nurse. Pranav nodded in agreement and quickly handed over the signed documents to the nurse.

"Don't worry we will save her." Nikhil said and left to operate on the girl.

Pranav was still shocked and his eyes turned red with tears dripping. He needed his wife Anji badly to support him and his little sister whom he loved to no end.