〔6〕- Rehabilitaion 「pt. 2」

Y/N's POV
I didn't even know where to begin. Heating it up to its limit? How was I to do that?
Sensei saw the obvious confusion on my face, looked down at my notebook one more time, before saying, "first of all, lengthen it,"
"But what if I burn through my uniform?" I asked.
I'd only just got my uniform, so I didn't want to damage or ruin it, not if it was new. He hummed, but then asked me to lay on my back, and lengthen my hair outwards on the ground.
I sat down and laid my head against the ground, letting my hair spill out and bubble along the floor.
"Okay, now think of something hot, like a spicy chilli pepper, or spicy ramen, or maybe a gas heater, and really picture it in your head," he instructed.
For some reason, I struggled to think of anything, the images of spicy foods or gas just didn't affect me. But something clicked in my head, an image that I couldn't explain, nor did I know what triggered it; a blue-flame on a small candle. I choked back a gasp as my hair sizzled vigorously by itself, seemingly stressed.
"Keep going," Sensei commanded, "don't stop until I say,"
I breathed in shakily, the image made me feel uneasy, unsafe. But I didn't know why...why did I feel so scared?
I strained my hands in a fist, my hair visibly letting off semi-blue sparks of flame. Then another image- one of a roaring blue flame, swallowing me up and made my skin tingle, so hot it felt cold. My hair simultaneously began to heat up.
My heart beat escalated, pounding in my chest as relentless and unexplainable panic stabbed at my head.
The image of fire felt so real, so real that the skin under my bandages also began to burn, the sting making me convulse in pain. Why did it feel so real, not like a figure of my imagination, more like a scarring memory.
But I kept going, the runny viscus on my head spitting fire and burning ferociously. A small cry mixed with a scream escaped my throat, and I heard Sensei shout, "okay okay you can stop!"
My hair turned to rock, as my body relaxed, my rapid breathing slowing.
"Are you okay?" He lifted me up and held my shoulders.
I bit my lip and wrapped my arms around myself, not answering.
"I think that's enough for now," he sighed, "but at least you can do that, it was impressive,"
I clumsily got up and wiped the dirt off of my legs and arms, and Sensei handed me back my notebook.
"Thankyou," I whispered, still in shock.
The effect of that thing had put me in a mess, but why? What was so horrible about it that it made my body go into a state of agitation and trepidation...?

~
We walked back to the gym, and I sat watching everyone else; I was having a break. My face was all flushed and I said I felt lightheaded, which was also true. I gazed on at my classmates. All their quirks were so unique, so strong. I had shortened my hair again, and the ashy ends at my neck tickled my nape.
The hairs on my arms were still stood up, the goosebumps still visible. Why did that make me panic?
I looked at my notes, to distract myself. I wrote down everything. How to heat up my hair, how to change my other body parts to lava, how to harden it to rock, safety precautions, how much heat my skin could handle, everything. I tried changing my hand to magma, going through the steps I wrote down, and sure enough, my hand melted into a warm, orange substance.
"H-how do I change it back...?" I said to myself, my eyes widening as I held my hand, completely unsure of what to do. I grasped my notes in my free hand and scanned the page.
Shake hand.
Okay. I shook it quickly and it moulded back to my skin. I rubbed my arms, watching the rest of the group disband out of the doors.
"A-Ah! Wait!" I yelped, running after them.

~

Last Lesson of the day
I sat in my seat, quiet and with my head down, scribbling notes in my book and copying from the chalkboard. In what seemed like minutes, the bell rung and the whole class went into a ruckus.
"Everyone please!" Sensei tried to get everyone's attention, but they'd already made their way out of the door of the classroom.
Kendou and Ibara waved goodbye to me as they ran down the hallway to the dorms.
Sensei put his hand on my shoulder.
"Y/N, did you feel okay today? You looked sick," he asked, concern in his tone of voice.
"Y-yeah, I guess I was just...overwhelmed?" I responded, "I'm not sure myself,"
"Well, okay," he said., his face pondering, as if there was something he wanted to say but not sure how to put it.
I walked up to the classroom door, with my bag hooked over one shoulder and my overflowing book that wouldn't fit in my hands.
"Oh, I forgot to ask, what image did you think of?" Sensei called after me.
I turned around.

"An icy-blue fire, it began on a candle,
but ended up swallowing me in a large flame." I answered, and watched as the colour in his face was drained.
"W..what colour...?" He stuttered.
"..blue...icy blue...?"
He bit his lip.
"It made me feel so...anxious...like it meant something deeper than just a pile of wax and flame, it made something in my mind click, and I can't help but wonder why...why it felt so much like a memory..." I confessed.
He leaned on the desk, his face still pale.
"What does it mean?" I questioned, wanting to know why I was so frightened, "why did it make me feel so scared?"
He just stood there, that same horrified expression on his face.
"Uhhh, Sensei?"
"I-I don't know, I guess blue flame is hotter than orange so maybe the heat affected you...r hair,"
Blue flame hotter than orange,
It echoed in my head, each time it repeated, Sensei's voice was replaced with a deep and threatening tone of a man I didn't recognise. I felt my pulse speed up again, but just ran out of the room, calling out, "I'll see you tomorrow!"
Why am I getting so terrified...it's just a gaseous fire...right?