〔12〕- Small Incident

ყ/ŋ'ʂ ℘ơ۷
Relief washed over me; the lady was not interested. Walking silently down the path, I glanced up at all the shops. I felt it again, that familiarity with the whole place.
I didn't recognise the store names; of course I wouldn't, but the feeling that I've been here before lingered over me.
"Hey, you!" I heard a voice call from behind me.
"Shit," I cursed through gritted teeth.
"Hey, wait up!" It was a guy's voice.
I avoided the first interaction all too easily, so I didn't know if I could pull that again.
I bit my lip, I had the urge to run, but I couldn't because it'd look even more suspicious. I inhaled nervously.
I turned my hair to rock and pulled up my hood over my head, and turned around.
A man around 20 years old came running up to me, an empty dog collar and lead in his hands and a petrified look on his face. Oh, he just lost his dog.
"Miss, you haven't seen my dog, have you? I was walking down past the bus station and suddenly he slipped from his collar and ran off,"
"I-I'm sorry, I haven't seen him,"
"Sorry to bother you, then, are you going to the station?" He asked, stuffing the leash into his jacket pocket.
I nodded.
He sighed and looked around, "can you call the police on you're phone if you see my dog, he's brown with white socks, a pit bull...could you do that..?"
I didn't trust this guy. He was looking around, not for his dog, for any bystanders. I subtly reached in my bag for my keys. Also, the way he asked if I could call someone on my phone was more of a, 'do you have a phone?'.
His 'dog' must've had a name, and he hasn't said it throughout this whole interaction. And what's worse, the collar didn't have a tag on it, and the price tag was still attached to the clip.
Although, he did convince me at first, his acting skills were pretty good, but the desolate street and sketchy surroundings had already made me weary. I felt the metal of my key in my hand.
"Sorry, sir..." I decided to risk it, "what's your dog's name?"
The look on his face changed from fake worry to actual panic.
"I couldn't help but notice the collar had no name tag, and if he was a pit bull, surely his neck would be too wide for a chihuahua-sized collar,"
He grabbed my arm, yanking it closer to him. It seemed he completely ditched his poor attempt to fake innocence, when the unmistakeable scent of cigarette smoke and weed tainted the air around him. I pulled out my keys and aimed for the separation in his knuckles, and rammed the keys into his hand. They weren't sharp, but it seemed to work as he let go and held his hand in pain.
I took the chance to escape, running down the path and not looking back.
Although it was dawn, the light hadn't fully reached the streets so darkness still coated the road.
I followed the lady's directions and ran to the left, where the bus stop came into view. Slowing into a light jog, I eventually came to the seats and sat there. No one else was waiting, just me.
I exhaled, that guy was freaking stupid. I laughed lightly, the damn collar would never have fit around a medium sized dog, let alone a pit bull. I was breathing heavily before this point, and my lungs seemed to calm down.
This day was already so dramatic. I ran away from school, I'm headed straight to where I get attacked in my dream, and I almost get kidnapped, albeit quite pathetically.
There was shuffling next to me, and a girl, not that older than me, with, ironically, a brown and white dog on a leash, sat next to me, smiling nervously.
I pulled down my hoodie, and saw that her face had two jaw-like ant teeth either side of her mouth, her eyes completely black, sclera, iris and all. She had short, choppy brown hair and small antennae sticking from her forehead, a green beanie slanted on her head. Her hands were brown, with only four fingers.
I smiled softly at her and pulled out my phone, only 3 minutes until the bus.
"D-do you know when the bus to Main Street will come?" She asked, her leg tapping against the floor, but the dog, which I presumed was a service dog, rubbed its head against her.
"Around three minutes, where are you headed?"
"I...well I'm going home," she mumbled, "my dad's house is chaotic and my step-monster is mean,"
I giggled when she said step-monster, step-mom is what I presumed she was.
"What about you?"
She was a complete stranger, so there was no trouble in telling her a little bit.
"Well, I've run away from school, trying to find answers as to why I got amnesia, whilst almost getting kidnapped by the world's dumbest captor, classic novel plot line if you ask me," I chuckled.
She laughed, her antennae twitching and her leg finally calming down. I guess she had some sort of social anxiety along with something else. I don't think she believed me, but she didn't say anything and just snuggled into her coat, shivering.
"You cold?" I questioned.
She nodded, "nothing I can do about it really, this is my dad's coat and it barely does anything,"
I pulled my hood further down my back, and let the top of my hair melt into a warm safety flame.
I heard her sigh happily, just as the bus came into view.

~