Chapter Four-Hold Me Down ✓

'I sold my soul to a three-piece
And he told me I was holy
He's got me down on both knees
But it's the devil that's tryna...
Hold me down, hold me down
Sneaking out the back door, make no sound
Knock me out, knock me out
Saying that I want more, this is what I live for
Hold me down, hold me down
Throw me in the deep end, watch me drown
Knock me out, knock me out
Saying that I want more, this is what I live for'
-Halsey

Hold me down, hold me downSneaking out the back door, make no soundKnock me out, knock me outSaying that I want more, this is what I live forHold me down, hold me downThrow me in the deep end, watch me drownKnock me out, knock me outSaying that I ...

—————————
"I'll wait outside, I think you three should finish this with her" I told Alec, Jace and Izzy.
Magnus had just said that only three others were needed with himself and Clary since there was only five points on the pentagram.
"You sure?" Alec asked.
"Yeah...you've risked enough. May as well jump the last hurdle" I told him as he smiled.
Sitting on the couch, the door shut over, enclosing them in the room to summon the demon.

My phone lit up, my younger brothers name showing to call me.
"How's it going?" Nick's voice flowed through the speaker.
"Oh hey Nick, good to see you too" I sarcastically replied.
"Hey Lena, how are you?" He replied, just as sarcastically.
"Great. Just waiting for them to finish getting Clary's memories from a memory demon with the high warlock's help" I recited.
"Ooo. Sounds fun. Joe with you then?" He questioned.
"Nope. Left to get laid when we went to a downworlders rave to meet Magnus" I said as Nick chuckled.
"As helpful as ever" he responded lightly as I agreed.

I heard commotion from the other room. I panicked slightly, springing up after hanging up.
I opened the door, seeing mixed emotions. Alec looked shocked and nervous, Izzy looked sympathetic and Jace was...face down on the floor, everyone crowding on their knees around him.
"By the Angel. Is he okay?" I asked, confused by how this could go wrong.
"Will he be okay?" Clary asked, ignoring me completely.
Ouch.
"I don't know. Does he normally just lay like that without moving?" Magnus sarcastically remarked.
"Get up Jace" Alec hissed, looking guilty.
He suddenly gasped awake, startled.
"I'm alright. I'm alright. I'm alright. I'm catching my second wind" he mumbled, sitting on his knees whilst gasping.

Alec retreated past me, not meeting my eyes. Magnus wandered after him, speaking quietly.
"Thank God you're okay. I thought for a second we lost you" Clary gasped worriedly.
"Remind me again, what's the, uh... What's the count on how many times I saved your life?" Jace teased between breaths.
"I...uh...think we're even" she smiled, seeing him back to normal.
"I don't think so" he responded.
Izzy met my eyes, walking past me to Alec. I turned, watching him stalk off.

****
We made our way back to the institute in silence. Nobody would tell me what went wrong, just that the bond was broken and the demon got ahold of Jace and they had to hold him down until Clary killed the demon. Thankfully, back at the institute, we were given our old rooms back so I could actually have some time alone.

After changing into a vest and sweatpants, I tried to relax. Unfortunately, commotion rushed past my bedroom. Opening the door with a heavy sigh, I watched Clary and Jace rush after Alec down the hall.
"Where no one could be tempted to use it" I caught the end of Alec'a sentence as I followed them to the training room.
"We should use it. Alec, we should use it to get to Valentine" Jace pleaded as Alec marched to his rune compartment on the floor.
"What's going on now?" I questioned, wanting nothing more than to sleep tonight away considering it was at least midnight.
"If I were Valentine, I'd make sure you think that you could rescue Jocelyn. And then I'd lure Clary to me and leverage her life for the Cup" Alec lectures, everyone ignoring me.

I noticed that Alec had Clary's purple necklace in his hand. He ran his stele over the rune, the compartment lifting from the floor.
"I like Jace's idea. We saved Simon from the vampires that way" Clary piped up.
"Yeah... vampires. Bored, decadent, self-involved vampires. Valentine is a real threat. He can't be handled by five-and-a-half Shadowhunters" Alec snidely remarked, turning to face me.
"Six" Clary hissed with a glare.
I strode over and stood next to Alec, making myself more known. Clary and Alec squared off, glaring at each other.
"Whatever. Leave it there" Alec dismissed, walking away.
"Alec!" I called, shooting the pair a sympathetic look.
Clary just looked furious yet confused.

"Alec, what the hell was that?" I asked, catching up to him in the hallway.
"Clary saw her mom with Valentine" he explained bluntly, carrying on walking.
Since it was late, not many people were wandering, a few cast us glances, but none of them bothered to stop us.
"So? Isn't that a good thing?" I questioned.
"No. He talked to her, knew she was there" Alec said, opening his bedroom door.
My eyes scanned the room, it being more or less the same as when I left. Pretty plain apart from papers littering the furniture and clothes thrown around lazily.
"Oh. Don't you think that was harsh?" I questioned, leaning against the frame as he sat on the bed, watching me carefully.
"No. It's an open door that I shut so Valentine couldn't get in. Leave it at that" he dismissed.

I frowned slightly, knowing he was in a sour mood. Deciding not to push further, i took a moment to watch Alec. Not long, just a lingering gaze. Something sitting on his desk caught my eye. Confusion flooded through me (gif above) as I stepped over, picking the item up. Alec was watching me as I stared in shock.
"I thought I lost this" I whispered, admiring my necklace.

(Without the three chains in the bottom)

"Oh yeah, I forgot I had that" Alec said as I turned it over in my hands.
I could vividly remember the day my mother gave me the necklace, one that had been passed through generations for hundreds of years.
"I was so upset when I lost this" I whispered, smiling fondly.
The fuchsia gem sparkled against the light, shining in all its glory. He truly did miss me. Why else would he keep one of my most personal belongs on his bedside table?
"You left it in your room. I found it not long after," he whispered, standing up grabbing it out my hands softly, "let me put it on you"

Nodding, I turned my back to Alec, feeling his gentle touch move my hair.
"You're amazing Alec" I mumbled as he brought it round my neck, clasping it at the back.
A small smile lit up on his face as I turned to see him. A small blush dusted his face, us both being noticeably close. My heart was beating in an unsteady rhythm, feeling like it was going to leap out of my chest.
"I best...go to bed, it's late" I whispered, staring into his hazel eyes.
The room was still and silent, a comforting feeling settling over us. I didn't want to leave, not now or ever.
"Yeah...yeah" Alec stuttered out, sitting back down on his bed.
"Night...and thanks again" I smiled, leaving the room quickly.

As soon as the door shut over, I grasped the necklace and grinned. I was so heartbroken when I lost it, this being something my mother loved dearly. It made me feel immensely guilty yet Alec had just reunited me with such a precious item. He needed to stop being so damn sweet, it was killing me. Slowly but surely, but I couldn't live without it. Without him.