Chapter Twenty Nine-Demons ✓

"When you feel my heat
Look into my eyes
It's where my demons hide
Don't get too close
It's dark inside
It's where my demons hide
It's where my demons hide"
-Imagine Dragons

————————
"Did you steal one of my jackets?" Alec questioned as I caught up with him and Magnus.
"Yeah, hope you don't mind. I couldn't be bothered going to get mine" I shrugged, glancing at Magnus out the corner of my eye.
"How cute" Magnus commented with a grin.
I rolled my eyes, rolling the sleeves up slightly because they were too long.
"How'd it go with Aldertree anyway?" I asked Magnus.
"Well, the man didn't disappoint. In his own charming, inimitable way, he informed me that I will indeed be punished, but the form of punishment is yet to be decided" He shrugged, not seeming fazed.
"Don't worry, what can he really do? You're the high warlock. He can hardly just get rid of you" I commented.
"All for trying to save my life...Jace may have been the one who pulled me out, but I felt you two there. It really helped, thank you" Alec said, slipping his hand into mine while we were in the empty hallway.
"Thanks for not dying on us, especially her" Magnus said, smiling softly at me.

"How is Jace?" I asked Alec, him leaving this morning to get an update.
"He won't be gone long. Once his hand touches the soul sword, the truth will come out, and prove that he's never been on Valentine's side"  Alec explained.
"I just want things to be normal" I sighed.
"Hey Alec, Selena. Demon briefing in the ops centre. All hands on deck" Raj called as we all turned to face him.
"My dear Raj, you look well" Magnus called as Raj looked kinda scared.
He rushed off as I smirked slightly.
"Good times" I recalled fondly as Alec looked at us, slightly confused.
"Guess that's my cue to leave" Magnus said as I hugged him quickly.
"Sorry to kick you out so suddenly" I apologised .
"No worries. Go battle your demons" he said before turning and walking away.

****
"Do we ever catch a break?" Izzy mumbled in annoyance, trying to find Clary through the halls.
"Apparently not" I replied.
We spotted Clary with her mom, clearly in a serious discussion.
"Demon attack downtown. One mundane dead" Izzy called as the redhead spotted us.
"And we don't have Jace, so you're with us" Alec carried on as she nodded.
"Wait, you want me on your team?" She asked incredulously.
"It's not my first choice, but we're a man down, and everyone else is on patrol. Gear up" he told her briskly.

****
"Well this is one nasty demon. Punched the hole right through his chest" Izzy remarked as we bent near the body.
A mundanes body was lying in a puddle of its own blood, far from being alive.
"With that kind of strength, I doubt it's done" Luke added.
Thankfully, we got here before the mundane cops could interfere. Luke just said it was some kids messing around while we glamoured the area.
"Nothing in the immediate area" Alec commented as he walked back over from checking perimeter.
"We're taking the body back to the institute. We'll run some tests, see what demon we have" I told Luke, standing up and glancing around the area.
It was empty and dark in the alley, which made it a lot easier to hide this from mundanes.

"Clary and I will widen perimeter," Alec said, "hey Fray! We've got a demon to hunt, come on" Alec called to the redhead.
"Be nice to her, will you?" I said, standing up.
"I'll try" he whispered, kissing my cheek before Clary walked over to us.
Alec walked ahead, Clary sending me a grateful look before she rushed off after him.
"It's gonna be a long night, isn't it?" I asked, leaning down to inspect the wound on the mundane.
"Yeah. At least Aldertree isn't here. Might make this a bit easier" Izzy commented, her distaste for the man shining through.

****
We wheeled the body in, Lydia meeting us and helping.
"Take him down to the morgue. And call as soon as you identify what kind of demon we're looking for. Until Victor comes back from the trial, I'm running point on this one" she said with authority, clearly as happy as we were that Aldertree wasn't here.
"Lydia...," I called as Izzy pushed the elevator button, "have you heard anything about Jace?" I questioned, Izzy coming to stand next to me.
"I know you're both worried but I'm still waiting, like you" she said with a sympathetic smile.
"Expect I'm the one who put him there. If I didn't make that deal with Aldertree-" she started blaming herself.
"Jace would've been torn apart by werewolves and Alec would be dead. You did what you had to do" Lydia explained.