Chapter Fifty-Into The Unknown

"You're not a voice, you're just a ringing in my ear
And if I heard you, which I don't, I'm spoken for I fear
Everyone I've ever loved is here within these walls
I'm sorry, secret siren, but I'm blocking out your calls
I've had my adventure, I don't need something new
I'm afraid of what I'm risking if I follow you
Into the unknown
Into the unknown
Into the unknown"
-Idina Menzel

"You're not a voice, you're just a ringing in my earAnd if I heard you, which I don't, I'm spoken for I fearEveryone I've ever loved is here within these wallsI'm sorry, secret siren, but I'm blocking out your callsI've had my adventure, I don't n...

———————
We stepped out of a portal into the park where we would find the mortal mirror. Dot takes a minute to look around before walking into a direction. We followed closely behind, Jace and Clary beginning to talk.
"You know, Clary, what I said earlier about Jonathan-" Jace began as I glanced over.
"No, it's okay. You don't have to apologise" Clary responded as she looked around cautiously.
"I'm not apologising" Jace shrugged.
"What a gentleman" I remarked as Jace glared.
"I'm very chivalrous, thank you" Jace responded.
"That's not true," Clary said, "And he's the only family I have left"
"You may not consider me family, but I care about you. Look, if you're ever in any danger, I'm gonna do whatever it takes to keep you safe. If that means Jonathan has to die, so be it" Jace shrugged nonchalantly.

I was slightly shocked that Jace would be so blunt but then I remembered, it's Jace. Of course he was blunt.
"Clary, the key line intersection's close" Dot called.
Clary took off, walking next to Dot as we followed.
"Jace, be a little sensitive. Clary's going through an unimaginably hard time" I spoke, turning and meeting his eyes.
"I'd rather her never speak to me again then get hurt. If I have to kill her brother, so be it" he responded.
I sighed, knowing their was no way to change his mind. In a way, it was a little sweet. He was willing to put her needs above his own selfish needs of wanting her. I could never imagine even thinking of not having Alec in my life, call me selfish.

"It's here" Dot called, stopping our conversation.
Where we stopped, there was a stone statue with what looked like a mirror under a gazebo type thing.
"Do you see something?" Clary asked as I stood by Jace
Dot walks up to the statue and reaches into it, a white energy surrounding her hand. She pulled out a mirror from the statue.
"That's it, isn't it?" Clary asked in awe.
"A lot more...normal than I thought" I remarked.
"Yeah...I was thinking a huge, old mirror" Clary responded.
"Okay, lets go" Jace called, looking a bit antsy in the open.

Before we could even more, something flung myself and Jace backwards onto the grass. I got my head, black spots clouding my vision as I rolled onto my side. Rapidly blinking, I tried to get the darkness out of my vision. I moved onto my back as my vision cleared, a blade was at my throat.
"No, don't!," I heard Clary call, "You're Jonathan, aren't you? You're my brother. You don't wanna hurt me. If you hurt them, that's exactly what you'll be doing. This is what you came for, isn't it? You can take this and go. Or... you can come with us. We can help you. Whatever Valentine's told you, it's lies. Whatever happened in the past, whatever you've done, it doesn't matter. You're my family"
I looked up at what was in front of me, my eyes widening. It was human shaped but was burnt, like someone had slowly burnt its flesh off. It had no hair and black eyes. Eyes that scared me deeply. This thing was once human but it was void, violent, selfish and full of hatred. It scared me, truly. It could slit our throats in a second. It was terrifying.