Chapter Nine-My Happy Ending ✓

'You were everything, everything that I wanted (that I wanted)
We were meant to be, supposed to be, but we lost it (we lost it)
And all of the memories, so close to me, just fade away
All this time you were pretending
So much for my happy ending
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
So much for my happy ending
Oh, oh, oh, oh'
-Avril Lavigne

'You were everything, everything that I wanted (that I wanted)We were meant to be, supposed to be, but we lost it (we lost it)And all of the memories, so close to me, just fade awayAll this time you were pretendingSo much for my happy endingOh, oh...

———————————

"Selena!" Izzy's voice shrieked as I stirred.
Groaning, I turned into my side, peeling my eyes open reluctantly.
"What?" I snapped in a sleepy tone.
All I wanted was to sleep my troubles away, aka my werewolf troubles from yesterday.
"My parents. They want Alec to marry" she gasped out, looking angry and concerned.
"Marry?" I questioned, my sleep immediately being shook off.

Shooting up off the bed whilst tossing the covers away, I moved closer to my parabatai.
"We've disgraced the name with everything we're doing. The lightwoods are 'unreliable'" she hissed, looking at me hopelessly.
"He wouldn't go through with it, would he?" I questioned, praying to any greater force she'd say no.
"I don't know" she admitted.
Sighing, I turned and picked some clothes up off my chair.
"Lets go talk to him" I declared as she nodded.

****
After changing into some jeans and a white button up, we headed to the training room to see Alec training with himself.
"Promise me you won't go through with it. Promise me you'll say no" Izzy pleaded, strutting into the room.
Alec looked confused at Izzy's statement, clearly having no idea what she was talking about.
"What are you talking about? Say no to what?" He questioned, carrying on whacking the bag with the stick.
"They're going to make you marry" She carried on.
"Who's they?" Alec asked, concentrating on the bag.
"Our parents are making plans for both of us" Izzy says, trying to be careful with her words.
"No, you heard wrong" he denied, not stopping.

Izzy moves forward, grabbing the stick. He glared, the tension in the room thickening. I stayed silent, knowing this was something the siblings needed to talk about.
"It's true, Alec. They need a political alliance quickly to restore our family name and our influence at the Clave" Izzy explained, sympathy swirling in her eyes.
"I knew Clary Fray would come back to bite me in the ass. So wait, I'm getting married, what are you doing?" He questioned, seeming annoyed yet concerned for what his parents could make his little sister do.
"They need me to convince the clave to placate the seelies somehow" she admitted, knowing Alec's side was so much worse.

I could see the anger twisting in his features. His jaw set, a glare on his face. You wouldn't be able to tell unless you knew Alec well, but I certainly did.
"You're playing the diplomat? Again? That's my job. That's what I'm suppose to be doing" he grumbled angrily, moving to put the stick away.
Izzy looked on at her brother, wishing she could do something to help.
"I know that. But I'm the one with the ties to the seelies" she whispered delicately.
"Is that what you're calling it now?" He asked angrily.
"Alec, I'm on your side" she pleaded.
"Really? I have followed every rule. I've given up everything!" Alec said, not even looking away from Izzy as they got closer.

If it was anyone else, I'd be worried I'd have to jump in so he didn't harm them but no matter how angry Alec was, he's never hurt his sister. We all knew that.
"We'll find a way out of this" she sympathised, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder.
"Screw the rules. Screw them. Screw all of this" he hissed, brushing her arm off and storming past me.
Alec didn't even spare me a glance, just rushing down the steps and away from us.
"Alec!" Izzy called helplessly.
"I'll go after him, don't worry Iz" I told her as she smiled sadly, nodding.
Giving my parabatai a hug, she whispered thanks in my ear.

****
"Alec!" I called, rushing after his retreating form outside the institute.
I had no clue where he was going, all I knew was that I needed to make sure he was safe.
"Alec, stop!" I said, gripping his arm.
He stopped reluctantly, tears shining in his eyes.
"What?" He asked, almost angry but failing.
"Where are you going?" I questioned, not moving my hand from his arm in case he left.
"Magnus'. Jace needs help and I'm done with this" he hissed, moving to walk away again.
"Don't walk away from me. I'll have you on your ass in a second if you move another step" I threatened.
Huffing, he turned back to me.

"I'm not going to stand here and give you the 'I know what you're going through' shit because that never works," I told him as he stared at me, "but I want to be here for you like I haven't been" I admitted, watching as his eyes softened for a moment.
"I don't want to talk about this now!" He snapped, the softness in his eyes gone.
"I know you Alec, you do. You hate what you're parents are doing because you follow every rule and sacrifice everything" I explained watching as he glanced anywhere but at me.
I rolled my eyes at this (gif above), glancing away then back to him.
"Selena...we can talk later. My parabatai needs me" he snarled, turning and walking off.
Sighing heavily, I trudged after the eldest lightwood to Magnus'.

****
After Alec helped Magnus heal Luke, we were sat waiting for the next thing to go wrong. It was only a matter of time. Jace and Alec were talking idly on the balcony, clearly not about the topic that had a dark cloud hanging over my head.
"What's wrong moonlight?" Magnus questioned, sitting in front of me with a martini in hand.
"Moonlight?" I questioned with a risen eyebrow.
"I like giving a few people nicknames. Just means I like you is all" he said.
I smiled lightly, looking down.
"That's sweet..." i mumbled as he smiled softly.

"You look like you need a drink" the warlock exclaimed, using his magic to conjure one up.
Handing it over, I took a gulp gladly.
"Damn that's good" I sighed.
"Thank you. Usually shadowhunters don't drink all too much, especially on the job. Another reason you're different" he analysed.
"That's what LA does to you. My younger brother is head of the institute there" I explained as he nodded.
"I see. Now, what's plaguing you moonlight?" He asked.

I looked up to the warlock, his eyes scanning me, awaiting an answer.
"Alec's parents are forcing him to marry" I sighed.
"Well...that's unfortunate. I'm sensing a little jealousy?" He questioned with a smirk.
Blushing lightly, I took another sip of my drink. Maybe he was right, or maybe I was angry that his parents subjected him to such conditions. Either way, neither of us were happy with the situation.
"It's not like that" I denied, watching as the pair wandered back in.
"Mother wants us back at the institute, you coming?" Alec asked, clearly not amused at having to go back.
Nodding, I downed the rest of my drink.
"Thanks for coming" Jace said as I passed, giving me a quick hug.
Magnus pulled me into a hug.
"Tell him before it's too late," Magnus said whilst pulling away, smiling like he said nothing, "come again you two"

Biting my lip, I ignored his comment. Even if I wanted to, i wouldn't get in the way of what Alec wanted. Noting could change my mind, even if it meant I didn't get a happy ending.

(A/N:I'm glad episode seven didn't last loads of chapters like the previous one but most of it just wasn't worth involving Selena in. So in case you couldn't tell, Magnus is a supporter of Selena and Alec so he won't hit on Alec. I respect that Alec is gay and if you have a problem then don't read, please and thanks)