Chapter Forty Nine-Ma Chérie

"Ma Cherie
Oh, time won't be enough
To make you even fall in love with me
Prefer the needle to me
Wanna hold you in my arms
But you want nothing to do with me
Ma Cherie"
-Palaye Royale

"Ma CherieOh, time won't be enoughTo make you even fall in love with mePrefer the needle to meWanna hold you in my armsBut you want nothing to do with meMa Cherie"-Palaye Royale

————
"Haven't been to this cabin in years, but I'm pretty sure it's just past this hill," Jace directed, "there it is"
Over the greens, a small cabin was spotted near a stream. It looked run down but like someone had been here recently. Valentine.
"Someone was just here" Izzy commented, sharing my thoughts.
"Valentine" I whispered.
We rushed down the hill towards the cabin, hoping that something was there to help us. We entered the cabin, a cold feeling surrounding us.
We stepped into the basement, a giant pentagram there.
"We're too late"

****
"The clave doesn't have the soul sword?" I repeated as I leant against Alec's office desk.
"Even if dads intentions are good, secrets make things worse" Alec said, sighing as he leant his elbows against the desk.
"Secrets make things a lot worse, I know that," I began, "but this...it could be the end of the accords"
"I know" he sighed.
I stepped around the desk, leaning against the back of the chair and resting my head against his shoulder.
"Are you going to tell Magnus?" I asked.
"I don't know" he whispered as I wrapped my arms around his neck.
I titled my head to the side, kissing his head softly.
"Whatever you do, as I've always said, I'll always be with you" I reassured.

He smiled, gently laying his hand against mine across his chest. His fingers laced into mine as I swept my gaze over the papers scattered across the desk.
"How long are you gonna be?" I whispered against his ear.
"Maybe an hour?" He responded.
I groaned, standing up straight and moving to sit on the desk. Alec looked up, amusement glinting in his eyes as I rested my feet against his lap.
"You're not gonna move, are you?" Alec asked, his hand resting against the side of my leg.
"Nope" I responded as he grinned.

****
I leant against Alec's desk, watching as he talked to Max. I zoned out, thinking about Valentine and Jonathan. Ever since I came back here, everything felt so hectic. A minutes peace like this were a blessing. I watched as Max left, Alec stepping in front of me.
"I can't believe he's going on his first mission. He's growing up so fast" Alec whispered, full of pride.
"Alright, old man" I teased as Alec glared playfully.
"I bet you didn't think that last night" he mumbled, his lips pressing to mine, effectively trapping me against him and the desk.
I went to put my arms around his neck before someone cleared their throat.

I pushed Alec away gently, seeing only Jace and Clary there. Thankfully. It would be embarrassing if it was anyone else catching us mid make out.
"Glad you two are enjoying yourselves" Jace remarked with an amused smirk.
"Are sign of Jonathan?" Alec asked, changing the subject.
"No. We tracked the box itself, but it was a dead end" Jace answered.
Alec glared at the door and I followed his gaze, seeing Max. He scurried off after being caught.
"So Valentine sent Duncan to steal a pair of baby boots?" Alec asked, seeming confused.
"Someone did. Someone who wanted to circumvent us from tracking Jonathan" Jace carried on.
"And now we don't have leads on either of them. We've got nothing" Clary said.