Chapter Forty Two-Can't Help Falling In Love

"Take my hand, take my whole life too
Oh, for I can't help falling in love with you
Oh, like a river flows, surely to the sea
Darling, so it goes, some things are meant to be
Oh, take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you
Oh, for I can't help falling in love with you"
-Elvis Presley

"Take my hand, take my whole life tooOh, for I can't help falling in love with youOh, like a river flows, surely to the seaDarling, so it goes, some things are meant to beOh, take my hand, take my whole life tooFor I can't help falling in love wit...

"Is the courtyard glamoured?" Alec asked on edge.
Ever since we figured out Azazel had Izzy, he'd been snappy and on angry. As imagined with his little sister with a greater demon who could cause that much damage.
"No one can see us" Magnus reassured, standing around the pentagram.
"I don't know, it still seems like a risk" Alec responded.
If we were caught, we could very well be de-runed for conspiring with Valentine.
"We don't have a choice. This is the only place big enough" Magnus carried on, frowning slightly at Alec's mood.
At the sound of someone entering, I twisted to face the blonde himself.
"Security cameras in the cell are down. We got a half hour until the inquisitor's done with her meeting and Nick and Joe are watching for anyone near the cells" Jace said, trying to put Alec's mind at ease.
"Is Clary ready?" Alec asked.
"Let's do this" Jace exclaimed as he nodded.

We each stood around each point of the pentagram, along with our special guest, Valentine.
"I call upon the power of the pentagram. Azazel, I summon thee," Magnus began as his magic lit the pentagram up, "From within our realm, into this mystical confinement, I summon thee. You seek the Mortal Cup. We seek the return of our friend. For this exchange, I summon thee"
Smoke appears inside then the next thing we knew, a man in a suit appeared inside. Azazel. If he wasn't a greater demon, I'd say he was actually good looking. The air seemed to turn cold as he stared at Magnus in amusement.
"Well...if it isn't Magnus Bane. Brave move" the demon spoke with a smirk.
He had an air of confidence around him, like he knew something we didn't. It was putting me on edge. Azazel went to approach Magnus before the high warlock pushed him back with his magic.
"Return Isabelle Lightwood, and we'll hand over Valentine. He can lead you to the Mortal Cup" Magnus bargained, eying the demon up.
The greater demon casts his gaze to Valentine who was stood, chained up.
"Valentine Morgenstern. The man who dares to dream big. It is a tempting offer, but I don't have your friend Isabelle" the demon said, glancing around at each of us.

My skin felt like it was crawling when he sent a brief glance at me. Worry felt like it was drowning me when he said this. I knew she wasn't hurt but it didn't put my mind at ease.
"He's lying" Alec hissed.
"I'm not so sure" Jace spoke up as I stated silent.
"No time for debate, the barriers weakening" Magnus spoke us as Alec glared at the demon.
"We can still find Isabelle. We can't let Azazel get away" Alec almost pleaded with Magnus.
"Clary, now!" Jace yelled as the redhead walked in, drawing the sunlight rune of her creation on her hand.
We waited for a few seconds but the run didn't work. Azazel just looked pleased and amused.
"It's...it's not working" she exclaimed, trying to redraw the rune.
"What are you talking about?" Jace gasped.
"Nothings happening!" She exclaimed again, clearly panicked.

"You thought you could contain me?" Azazel asked, using his powers to push us all back to the floor.
An excruciating, high pitched noise split through my head feeling like it was going to split my head in half. Everyone else seemed to experiencing the same thing as screams filled the air. Pressing my hand to my head, I tried to block out the noise. It was painful, almost consuming me with floods of pain. Glancing to my right, I saw Alec and Clary laying back, gasping and screaming in pain. I wanted to call out to Alec but the pain chocked up my words, screams replacing them. Whilst I was preoccupied, Jace had gotten up, clearly not affected by the pain as he got out his seraph blade and tried to plunge it into Azazel. The greater demon just vanished into black butterflies, the pain evaporating with him.
"How did you do that?" I heard Alec breathlessly whisper as I sat up.
Looking around, I noticed grey ash falling from the skies, coating everyone's hair. Well lack of, in Valentine's case.
"I have no idea. It doesn't matter. He got away" Jace shrugged as he rushed down to Clary.

Panting slightly, I moved to lean on my knees as Alec moved next to me.
"Hey, are you alright?" He asked, moving to brush my hair out of my face.
"Yeah," I whispered, "are you?" I asked, looking up to meet his eyes.
"I'm fine, yeah" he responded, looking around warily as he put a hand to my waist in a protective manner.
Azazel was gone and so was our chance of finding Izzy. A few shadowhunters rushed in, Brendon being one, as he rushed in to Magnus and the other two rushed to Valentine. On the plus side, we still had him. I stood with a little difficulty, pulling Alec up.
"She's okay, Alec. I know she's okay" I reassured, slipping my hand into his as everyone left the courtyard.
My eyes connected to Magnus' as he left with Brendon, looking slightly shifty and confused. It was weird, but I brushed it off and put it down to the weird encounter.

I ran my hand over through his hair, the ash rubbing off onto my hands.
"What the hell is this stuff?" I asked, turning my hands over to look at it.
"I don't think it matters, he's gone" Alec sighed, trying to get rid of the ash in his hair with his hand.
"Lets go clean up" I bargained, squeezing his hand.

****
Stepping out the bathroom in a towel, I saw Alec sitting on my bed with wet hair. He'd showered just before me and looked a lot more content than before I left.
"Izzy's okay. She called me" he breathed out, smiling to himself.
Looking up, he met my gaze and smiled a true, happy smile that reached his eyes. One I hadn't seen for weeks. Everything kept happening one after the other but now with Izzy being okay, this sense of relief flooded me.
"Where is she?" I asked, sitting on the bed next to him.
"She wouldn't say...she just said she's getting help and fighting this" he responded, blushing slightly as he realised I was in a towel.
"Thank the Angel" I whispered in relief as I stood back up.
"She also said she loves you and you need to stop worrying" He said as I moved to the wardrobe to try find some clothes.
Pulling out a blue jumper and some leggings, I set them on the bed.

"Selena, I'll wait outside so you can change" Alec stuttered, getting all cute with a blush.
"Alec, you've seen me naked. You don't need to go outside" I replied with a smile.
Dropping the towel, I pulled some underwear on and turned around as the blush crawled up his skin.
"There, all the naughty bits are covered" I said with a wink (gif above), as Alec shook his head.
I was starting to sound like Izzy.

Pulling the jumper and leggings on, I jumped onto the bed next to Alec.
"Now we know Izzy's okay...promise me you'll get some sleep tonight" i said, putting my hand against Alec's neck.
"I slept last night" he lied straight through his teeth, shifting his gaze like he always did when he lied.
"Alexander Gideon Lightwood" I scolded gently.
"Fine, I'll admit I didn't sleep much. I was just...watching over you" he whispered.
Turning his jaw to me, i locked our lips in a short kiss. It was loving and gentle, his hand reaching up to cup my face as my hand stayed rested against his neck.
"I'm not going anywhere. Last night...that's never going to happen again. We've got Valentine" I reassured, knowing where his mind was going to.
"I just keep thinking...what if Jace didn't get there in time. You could've...you could've bled to death," he whispered, tears clouding his eyes,  "I've always said emotions cloud judgment but...I always let it when it came to you because I love you. I've never felt such fear as yesterday, not since...since you left" he admitted, a tear rolling down my cheek.
I hadn't even noticed tears in my eyes. I didn't understand how much he loved me, truly. I didn't understand how much I loved him.
"What we do is dangerous, we all understand that, but I love you too and if I had...died yesterday I would've known you loved me. Whether we had that argument or not" I said, putting his guilty mind at ease.

Alec brought me into an embrace, his arms enclosing around my waist. A few tears ran down my face as I hid my face in the eldest Lightwood's shoulder. I hated crying, it made me feel so weak. I didn't care when I was in his arms though, he made me feel safe. Like I could be vulnerable.