Chapter Fifty Two-Closer

"So baby pull me closer in the backseat of your Rover
That I know you can't afford
Bite that tattoo on your shoulder
Pull the sheets right off the corner
Of the mattress that you stole
From your roommate back in Boulder
We ain't ever getting older"
-The Chainsmokers, Halsey

"How're you feeling?" I asked, sitting down on the chair next to Kevin.
"Like I've been stabbed," Joe began, "oh wait"
I shook my head, smiling fondly.
"Haven't lost you sense of humour, I see" I retorted as he smiled.
"I feel like every time I come back one of you is on the brink of death" Kevin says with a motherly disappointment.
I shrugged, grinning slightly.
"Heard that bastard got what was coming to him" Joe remarked as I nodded.

After Sebastian had met his inevitably demise, everyone was still on high alert for Valentine. I'd imagine that Sebastian held little to no significance in Valentine's plans which meant he was still at large. It was still pressure off nonetheless now he was gone.
"Jace stabbed him then pushed him off a bridge" I said as Joe smiled in relief.
I grabbed his hand in a comforting manner, his hand squeezing mine.
"Shouldn't you be helping look for Valentine?" Kevin asked, leaning his elbow against the chair arm.
"I'm usually at Alec's beck and call when he needs me" I waved off, the pair smiling.
"So," Kevin began, "have you met Nick's girlfriend?"
"Yeah...she's so pretty" I said as Joe looked at us, his eyebrows creasing.
"Nick? As in, our brother? Has a girlfriend?" Joe asked incredulously as we both laughed.
"Yeah, believe it or not" Kevin said.
"I knew he went on a date but I didn't think he could man up to be honest" Joe shrugged as I smiled slightly.

My phone went off, a text from Alec saying we had a mission. Sighing, I ran my hands over my face. For about a month, I'd barely slept. From Izzy's disappearance, to Valentine and his demonic son, it had really taken a toll. Sleep felt like a luxury, especially since Alec was rarely there. Since he was head, he came to bed late and it was hard, as cheesy as it sounds, to sleep without him.
"You needed?" Kevin asked, leaning over to look at my phone.
"Yeah, why couldn't it have me been stabbed? At least I could rest" I whined, sinking into my chair.
"You don't mean that" Kevin said with a playful tone.
"Oh, I really do,"I retorted, standing up and brushing my hands through my hair, "wish me luck"
"Don't die!" Joe shouted as I left.

Heading to the weapons room, I spotted Clary and Izzy picking out a few weapons.
"So, what fresh hell awaits us today?" I asked looking at all the weapons on the table.
"Wraith demons downtown. But they aren't attacking" Izzy frowned.
"Strange, think it's Valentine?" I asked.
"Maybe, he still has the cup" Izzy responded.
I turned to Clary, seeing the redhead awfully quiet.
"How're you doing?" I inquired as she fixed her gaze from the table to mine.
She smiled half heartedly, clearly a strained one.
"Okay...it's weird. I thought I'd be relieved he's dead but..." she trailed off with a shrug.
"It's understandable. He was your brother, you try to see the best in your siblings" I spoke.
She smiled slightly before walking over to Jace as he and Alec walked in.

"Thought you'd need these" Alec said, handing me my dual kindjals.
"Thanks" I responded, putting them on the table so I could fix my thigh holster on.
Leaning up, I pressed a quick kiss to his cheek before he moved away to grab some arrows.
"Seems you two are doing well" Izzy commented, that sparkle in her eyes when she was being nosy.
"Mmhmm," I hummed, "what do you want to know Iz?"
"Nothing" she defended, holding her hands up.
I frowned slightly as she smiled, brushing it off.
"I just like seeing my brother and parabatai happy. As soon as he walked in, I could literally feel you become happier" she shrugged.
"That's what happens when you're in love, Isabelle" I whispered, slipping the weapons into their holsters.
"Ugh, don't full name me" she groaned as I smiled, knowing it got on her nerves.
"Don't pry then" I responded as she rolled her eyes playfully.
"I wasn't even prying" she hissed as Alec walked over, laying down arrows to rune.