Chapter Seven-Little Talks ✓

'There's an old voice in my head
That's holding me back
Well, tell her that I miss our little talks
Soon it will all be over, and buried with our past
We used to play outside when we were young
And full of life and full of love
Some days I don't know if I am wrong or right
Your mind is playing tricks on you, my dear
'Cause though the truth may vary
This ship will carry our bodies safe to shore'
-Of Monsters And Men
——————————
The first place we'd check was the Brooklyn academy of art. Thanks to me actually listening to Clary in the past, I knew where she'd go.

Weaving between the people, we saw Clary stood their staring longingly at the building. Her phone suddenly started going off, confusing all the surrounding people.
"Why'd you run out? And what's the point of an Invisibility rune if you don't silence your phone? That was childish, sneaking out like that" Alec lectured as we caught up to her.
"Simon. Hey..." she said into the phone, ignoring Alec.
I could tell he was getting increasingly frustrated with the redhead. She was getting him in more trouble with not only the institute, but his mother as well.

"Hang up, that's it. We have to go right now" Alec demanded, losing his patience with this game with the mundane.
"No" Clary responded snidely, turning back to her conversation with Simon.
"Mundanes. Look at them, running around like ants" He mumbled bitterly.
"You're half mundane" I reminded him.
"Sadly..." he grumbled.
I smiled at the brunette, nudging him gently as Clary finished her phone call.
"Why do you always look so miserable?" Clary questioned suddenly as she walked forward, urging us to follow her.
"I don't" he denied.

"It must be hard, you know, being in love with someone who doesn't know-..." Clary replied, looking at me.
I gave him a confused look, his panicked and shocked face whirling round to her.
"Excuse me what?" He asked angrily.
"What's the big deal? I was there when the memory came out. Busted, no?" She fires back with a smirk.
I was intrigued who she meant. Alec wasn't one to 'love'. It made jealously bubble, simmering in my body. Pushing the feelings aside, I focused on their conversation.

"It's not like that" he hissed, not meeting my eyes.
"Am I missing something?" I asked, irritated that I was being left out.
"Just admit it. It will make you feel better" Clary urged, ignoring me again.
I was getting sick of this treatment.
"Forget it" he hissed, striding ahead.
Clary watched before turning to me.
"What was that about?" I asked her.
"It's not mg place to say" she said defensively, clearly not wanting to get into more trouble with Alec.
"Clary...What the hell happened at Magnus'?" I asked, gripping her arm so she couldn't move away.
"It was you. A memory of someone we loved the most...it was you" she whispered.

I stood, shocked at the revelation. That's why everyone was so off with me after that night.
"The chain broke because Alec let go. He's in denial" she whispered sympathetically, rubbing my arm after I let her go.

Shaking my head, I laughed.
"He loves me, sure but...not like that" I denied, walking ahead.
"You're both in denial" I heard her whisper before rolling my eyes.

*****
"Hey you, thanks for being here" Clary says, rushing up to Simon and embracing him.
I stood a distance away from Alec, tension clear between us. We were stood in an alleyway, somewhere that looks like drugs were done.
A high wall towered over us, making me slightly thankful for our shadowhunter abilities.
"You don't need to do this alone. It's not who we are" Simon reassured.

One thing I'd noticed between these two, mostly on Simon's part, was that he was madly in love with her. Yet she only saw him as a best friend, ouch. Is that how people saw me and Alec? No...-no. We love each other, sure, like any other friend does.
"Are you sure you're feeling up to this?" Clary asked tentatively.
Simon look pale, like a walking corpse. Could've been a cold, I didn't know a lot about mundane health and didn't particularly care.
"Yeah it's just a cold, not the end of the world" he reassured, smiling at her.
"The worlds been ending for a thousand years. You get used to it. We need to move" Alec commanded, still clearly in a pissy mood from before.

"Yeah my moms loft is just across the alley" the redhead said, clearly reliving memories of her old mundane life.
"All right, well, we have to be careful. There are eyes all over this place and everybody in the Shadow World's looking for you" Alec warned.
"I mean, I guarantee you, no one's gonna find this shortcut. I used to take it back in middle school to see Clary. You might know the Shadow World, but trust me... I know Brooklyn. Come on" Simon said with a cocky grin, literally leaping over the wall.

"What the..." I whispered, pretty certain mundanes couldn't do that.
Clary looked equally confused, a sure sign this wasn't normal. We climbed over the wall, jumping gracefully to the other side. Some more than others. We saw a ladder, Simon jumping onto it with ease.
"Have you been doing parkour?" Clary questioned, staring after her best friend.
She climbed up after Simon as we watched the perimeter as she climbed.
"You first" Alec whispered tentatively.
I nodded, climbing quickly as Alec followed.
"You've gotten better at this" Simon commented, staring at Clary dreamily.
"I was just gonna say the same thing about you" She replies, smiling at each other.

"Climbing a fire escape excites mundanes. I'll never understand these people" Alec muttered bitterly, shaking his head.
"It's the little things" I reminded him, watching the pair interact.
Sometimes I wondered what it would be like having a mundane life. Where Alec, Izzy, Jace and I were just friends. We could be normal and maybe me and Alec would have a shot-..no. I didn't like him like that.

****
"Holy crap Clary. Who torched your loft? Yeah I can see this too" he snidely remarked.
The whole place was black with ash darker than the night sky. Everything of hers was burnt to a crisp, most likely so she couldn't be tracked.
"Hey you okay?" Simon asked her.
"There's nothing left of me here" Clary whispered meekly.
"Of course, there isn't. Your mother was trying to erase any trace that you existed. So that you couldn't be tracked" Alec told her.
"She was protecting you" I said, smiling gently.
A smile tugged at her lips, a fond look in her eyes.
"Let's see how well that worked"

The next thing was strange as well, Simon could tell the difference in two floorboards. There was no noise coming from them, but he says differently.
"Hey out the way!" Alec snapped,reaching into the compartment Simon revealed.
"You're welcome" Simon sarcastically remarked.
"Ignore him, thank you" i told him sincerely.
He smiled back, relieved that at least one shadowhunter wasn't trying to bite his head off.

"There's something down here," Alec called whilst lifting the box out, "is this what you remember?"
"Yeah. She used to wait until I was asleep then take it out" Clary explained, taking the box and staring at it.
She ran her fingers over the rustic letters, smiling, trying to grasp any memory of her mother.
"Open it then" Simon urged like a child. 
"I don't know what any of this is" Clary whispered.
Inside were assortments of baby items, strangely enough.

The sound of glass shattering broke us out of our stare at the box.
"There's someone here. Get what you need. Do not move until i get back, we've been here too long. Selena, watch over them" He commands, his leadership shining brightly.
"Stay safe" I whispered, agreeing to his command.
"You too" he replied, taking his glamoured bow out and revealing it.

Alec rushed off, ready to attack anyone who was a danger. Heavy footsteps got closer to the room as I pulled my seraph blade out. A scruffy looking man stepped in, clearly one target in mind. Clary. We engaged in a fight, him easily having the disadvantage.
"Selena!" Clary yelled.
Before I could react, something dull hit my head, turning my vision to darkness.