Chapter Five-Stronger ✓

'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Stand a little taller
Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
Footsteps even lighter
Doesn't mean I'm over 'cause you're gone
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, stronger
Just me, myself and I
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Stand a little taller
Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone'
-Kelly Clarkson

'What doesn't kill you makes you strongerStand a little tallerDoesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm aloneWhat doesn't kill you makes a fighterFootsteps even lighterDoesn't mean I'm over 'cause you're goneWhat doesn't kill you makes you stronger, strong...

—————————

"Where've you been all night?" I asked, amusement lacing my tone.
"By the Angel, don't start!" Joe hissed, flipping his sunglasses up then immediately back down with a groan.
"Hungover princess?" I teased, a dirty look being shot my way.
"You know, I didn't even get laid last night" he whispered, walking over to the glass table and sitting down.
"What were you doing then?" I questioned, sitting on the table and glancing around the room.

Joe leant his head in his hands, groaning some more. I spotted Clary and Izzy moving to the front of the institute, making me raise my eyebrow.
"I chatted up this seelie and she got so drunk she just started...crying" he whispered.
A joyous laugh fluttered from my chest, unstoppable. My twin brother flushed, angered.
Smirking, I hopped off the table, heading over to the two girls.
"He thought I might have seen something that could help us find him" Clary states as I made myself known.
"Is this about Alec's little outburst?" I questioned as Clary nodded.
"Did you see anything?" Izzy asked, smiling at me in greeting.
"I didn't see anything but...I think I might know another way" Clary stated carefully.

Before she could further explained, the front doors were thrown open. A dark sense of superiority flooded the room, some people turning and smiling with respect at the woman who walked in. None dared to converse or stop, the woman was on a mission and nobody should get in the way of that. Maryse Lightwood was someone utterly terrifying but respectable. Her black flowing hair was pinned up in a ponytail, a smart dress adorning her body.

"Isabelle. Dressed to impress, I see. And you've been playing with the family heirlooms" her voice echoed, making most shadowhunters scarce.
Nobody wanted to be near Maryse Lightwood when she was dishing out sarcasm and disappointment.
"Hi, I'm Clary Fray" Clary said with a bright smile.
Something told me that Maryse wasn't a fan of Clary, being she was dragging the Lightwood name through the mud with all these missions and broken rules.
"Clary Fairchild. You look just like your mother. We all know about you in Idris," she said curtly, "Selena. Good to see you too"
I respectfully nodded, smiling softly.

Myself and Izzy always looked up to my mother and Maryse when we were kids. They were strong, independent woman who took nobodies shit. Although Maryse certainly wasn't the warmest person, she had her tender moments when we were kids.
"Idris?" Clary echoed, confused.
"The shadowhunter homeland" I responded.
"If you think the Institute is well-hidden, wait until you see that place. How's Max? We all miss him," Izzy questioned whilst turning to Clary, "Little brother. Cute, but clingy. Kinda Simon-ish"
I laughed softly at the last comment. I missed Max, I'd seen him more recently than the elder Lightwoods in Idris when I was there. Since Maryse and Robert were in Idris, when I went to see my brother I often dropped by to see them. Maryse was often kinder when she wasn't in the institute or working.