Chapter Forty-Lovely

"Isn't it lovely, all alone?
Heart made of glass, my mind of stone
Tear me to pieces, skin and bone
Hello, welcome home"
-Billie Eillish, Khalid

——————————
"Okay, this isn't good. Clary could be anywhere" Simon panicked.
"Not anywhere. Valentine still needs a bolt of lightening" Jace said, disrupting Simon's pacing.
"Great. So what's the plan? You want me to check the five-day forecast for every city in the entire world?" Simon asked sarcastically, that seeming to be his defensive.
I rose my eyebrow at Jace, knowing he walked into that one.
"You were right. Finding Madzie was too easy" I commented.
"As much as I love to hear you say that, now is really not the time" Jace responded, clearly racking his mind on what to do.
"Okay, Luke just texted me. Maybe he can do something" Simon responded.

A faint scream was heard in the distance, a man.
"What the hell?" Simon asked as we set off sprinting.
Rounding the corner we found a vampire and seelie, the vampire attacking the mundane.
"Don't move!" Jace yelled as I brought my kindjals out.
They looked up, the vampire hissing before speeding off. I leant down to the man, checking his pulse.
"Dead" I mumbled.
"Dude, that's not normal. Even the worst of Camille's people wouldn't risk attacking a mundane on the street" Simon said as looked at the man, sympathy racking my heart.
"Especially not with a seelie" Jace told us.
"That was a Seelie? Do you think that's what Luke was talking about? A Downworld revolt?" Simon asked, clearly not having seen a seelie before.

Something was defiantly weird and off with them.
"No, no. I recognise that vamp. He's in Valentine's zoo" Said Jace as I stood up.
"Why would Valentine have downworlders attack mundanes? I thought he relatively liked mundanes" I questioned.
"It makes no sense" Simon carried on.
Glancing up and down the alley, I made sure nothing was lurking. Now isn't exactly the time to be jumped.
"It must have something to do with the sword" Jace grumbled as he walked off.

I could tell Jace was calling Alec as Simon bent over the body and put his fingers to the blood. Taking my witch light, I walked down the alley slightly to see it clear, only lined with bins and boxes.
"I think I can track Clary" Simon said as I walked back over.
"Hey, Jace! He can track Clary" I called to the blonde as he walked back over, the phone still pressed to his ear.
I could hear Alec's voice faintly on the other side, making my heart swell in pain. I hated to argue with anyone, never mind the one I loved.
It was a new feeling, a feeling I was more than ready to give up.

****
"An abandoned warehouse? Don't they ever think of something more creative?" I asked, the place giving me chills.
It looked old and derelict, more so than a normal abandoned building.
"Okay, I know this is an abandoned building, but it's starting to seem extra-abandoned" Simon stated my thinking as I nodded.
"Are we too late?" Jace asked downheartedly.
"No. Scent's still fresh. Someone's here. We gotta move fast" Luke, who we earlier met up with, said.
"Fan out. Cover as much ground as you can" Jace said as we spread out separately.
Although I was a shadowhunter, the chills of the abandoned building scared me. There was nothing in the building till we got closer to the main part where it looked like an a downed circus, which made it even more creepy.
"Simon" I hissed, seeing the vampire in the hallway.
He spotted me, rushing over.
"I can hear them. Clary Jace, Valentine" He spluttered.
"Let's go then" I urged.

Walking quietly, we saw Valentine, Madzie and one other circle member. Jace was frozen with Madzie's magic, Clary pleading. I locked eyes with Simon, nodding as we went forward, Simon punching Valentine as I held my kindjal to the circle members throat. Valentine easily got ahold of Simon.
"I'd suggest putting the blade down unless you want him to be a permanent corpse" Valentine spoke with clear confidence.
Gritting my teeth, I dropped both the blades letting them make a dull clanging noise that echoed. The circle member gripped my arms, finding myself in the same position as Simon whilst I met Jace's worried eyes.
"Brave and stupid," Valentine sighed, "sweetheart, save your magic for what's to come. It's time to go" Valentine cooed to the child.
The warlock mindlessly complied, opening a portal.
"Simon, Selena!" Clary yelled before the circle member and Valentine shoved us through a portal.