49 → El Muchacho de los Ojos Tristes

"Fuck Iron Man and Captain America"

"I don't know what that's about but I feel the need to apologize" Steve glanced over at Tony who nodded at him.

Sam inspected Dia's dot tattoo a little more. He scrunched his eyebrows and tilted his head slightly. "Wha-" But Tony quickly spoke up, bringing everyone's attention to himself. Sam frowned and looked over at Tony who's sitting at the end of the same couch as him. Tony caught his eye and shook his head, silently telling him to don't ask Dia any further questions about her tattoo.

Steven Rogers thought about yesterday's events as he made his way to Tony's office. What's the deal with the caption underneath the picture Dia posted of himself and Tony? Why did Tony nod at him after he said he felt the need to apologize? And why did he shut Sam down before he even said anything, and also giving him a shake of his head?

After the Instagram filled evening, and everyone went to do their own thing around the compound, Sam asked Steve if he knows what's up with Tony. When he told him he doesn't, Sam shared what he heard Joshua tell Bucky when they were roller skating just last weekend.

Dia and Harley broke up 3 years ago. "She was going through something so horrible she completely shut down. She stopped talking, she retreated into herself, she began to travel to escape." Sam didn't think much of it then, but after he saw Dia's Instagram post from 3 years ago, trashing Iron Man and Captain America, he felt there might be some sort of connection. Or maybe he's just overreaching. Still, it didn't sit well with Steve so there he is the following day standing outside Tony's office. He knocked twice and waited for Tony to answer.

"Come in, Steve!" Tony called from inside the room.

Steve furrowed his eyebrows and opened the door. "How do you know it's me?" He curiously asked when he stepped inside the office.

"You're the only one who knocks" Tony answered from behind his desk.

"That can't be right" Steve mumbled.

"You should teach Vision how to knock. Remind him what a door is and what it's purpose is" Tony leaned back in his chair. Steve chuckled and silently agreed with that. He took long strides across the room and looked between the chair in front of Tony's desk, and up at Tony. He nodded and Steve sat down. "So" Tony turned his chair to face him. "What can I do you for?"

"Ehm" Steve realized that he doesn't even know where to start. How does he begin? Does he just ask him straight out or is there a built to it? He knows Tony is protective of Dia. He loves her, probably more than he loves any of his team members. And he doesn't want to say something out of line or something to upset him, he doesn't want another "seven eleven parking lot fight". But how else is he supposed to know what was his deal with...what exactly? Prying? Overstepping? He's not even sure what. Well, there's only one way to find out.