1 - Sabrina

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~5 Years Later ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sabrina!" My best friend, Christine, calls.

"Wha-at?" I shout back, seeing her bounce off the trampoline.

"Hot dogs!" That's all I need to hear. I jump off of the trampoline (fitting, right?) and bolt over to the grill. We're at Christi's house; having a cookout with our families. She and her family live in a large house with a huge backyard. Her backyard consists of a pool, a trampoline, and a swing set. I absolutely love her house.

I spot my friendship necklace on their deck table. It's settled next to Christi's with its yellow heart-shaped tourmaline with my initials, SJW, imprinted on it. Christi's friendship necklace is a star-shaped purple tourmaline. We found them on our beds with a card written from the other. Neither of us actually wrote the letters, but we keep it as a reminder that we were meant to be best friends.

Thinking of friends reminds me of family. My parents, Mackenzie and Xander, and my little brother, Jago, are also here. My dad has fiery red hair, freckles sprinkled across his face like sand, and forest green eyes. My mom has strawberry blonde hair and sky blue eyes.

I look a lot like our dad, where Jago resembles our mom. I have freckles, and long, wavy red hair. The only thing about me that is like my mom is my eyes. I have bright blue eyes, that Christi (and my entire family!) say are very large for my face.

Jago, on the other hand, has dirty blonde hair, with green eyes. Basically, we look like the parent of the opposite gender, except the eye colors are switched.

That brings me to Christi and me. We have been friends for, I don't know how long! We met through our dads actually. They crashed into each other while driving, which sounded very scary at the moment, but this time it definitely had its benefits.

I gaze down into the grill, longingly. The hot dogs are getting good grill marks and are bubbling. The smell wafts through the air, and I breathe it in. I catch Christi's eye and she raises an eyebrow. I shrug and call to her,

"You like them just as much as I do!" And it is true. She hops over and gazes down at them with me.

"Ahh! Da-ad! The hot dogs are getting burnt!" Christi wails.

"You're so weird," I tell her.

"Well just because you like having a burnt hot dog, doesn't mean I do," she retorts. That's true. I do like having a burnt hot dog. It gives it taste!

Christi's dad comes rushing over and quickly takes off all but my two of the hotdogs. Our families know each other so well, he knows about my weird preferences.

"Hot dogs, hot dogs, hot dogs!" Jago yells, noticing they're off the grill. He may be only eight, but boy is he fast! Jago likes to run a lot, and I like to swim.

After approximately two minutes, my hot dogs are nicely charred, so I take them off the grill.

"Hot, hot, hot, HOT!" I yell, sprinting to the table and dumping my precious pieces of meat on my plate.

"You know it might not be so hot if you use the tongs." Christi laughs.

"I did! But the metal was hot," I shrug. She rolls her eyes and goes back to munching on her hot dog. I dump a pile of ketchup on my plate and dig in. The rich flavors burst in my mouth.

I quickly polish off the rest of the hot dogs. I use up all my ketchup, so my plate only has a small ketchup smudge and some of the blackened stuff that fell off the meat. Then, I glance at the dessert table and something catches my eye.