20 - Christi

I look in bewilderment around to see the faces of many Soul Animals, gathered around Sateen Klenot, the gemstone Skifter said held the life of Klenouzlo in it. I look back at Kase, who is still holding his hands up in either an attempt to scare the Soul Animals away or to surrender, or to fight. Not sure which one at the moment.

Sabrina gives me a look. I just shrug. I mean, we know Kase was evil and all, but, him to... turn a new leaf? It seems weird. I'm getting a feeling of trust in my heart though, and I'm not sure that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Skifter slowly approaches Kase. He flies all around him, inspecting every inch and every single attribute about him. Skifter's face is etched with concern, a kind of concern that is only found when one does not trust another.

Like how I decided that Kase was not to be trusted.

And now, I can't make up my mind.

I stay still as Skifter continues to scrutinize Kase.

Sabrina comes and stands next to me.

"Do you trust him, do you think he's telling the truth?" she asks quietly.

"I mean, I don't know. My mind is in multiple places right now. I mean, he betrayed us, put us in another prison. Are we really ready to trust him now?"

"Well..." Sabrina starts, "As much as I think it is odd, I think he really has changed. Everyone changes Christi, and we have to accept that."

I nod. "True, but... I dunno. I'm still making up a decision.

"It's okay. The war isn't being fought between him and us. It's being fought between them." She nods towards both the Soul Animals and Kase.

"Agreed," I answer.

After a few more moments of multiple Soul Animals observing Kase, a hummingbird flies up to Kase.

"Hello, I am Kaidri. And what is your name, son?"

In my head, I think to myself, Wow, motherly to a traitor. Soul Animals sure do have heart.

And why wouldn't they?

Before I can get too lost in my thoughts, I snap my attention back to Kase and Kaidri.

"My name is Cody," he answers.

Sabrina raises her eyebrows (really high) at me.

"Hmmmm..." Kaidri says. "Why have you come?"

"I come from Zaroho." A wave of gasps and murmurs washes over the crowd of Soul Animals.

"But like I said, I'm not who you think I am. I... escaped here. I want to destroy him too."

"I don't believe you," Kaidri comments after a moment's silence.

"It's true. You won't believe the story that goes with it."

"We probably won't. But why don't you intrigue us anyway? Why do you really come?"

"Well," Kase (or Cody as he calls himself) says, "I used to work as an general in his army. He actually showed kindness to me when I was younger. I was abandoned by my family when I was young, and he was the first person to show me any love. I grew up in his prison. I learned everything from him. But after our two latest prisoners—" he motions to Sabrina and me. "—escaped, Zaroho put the blame on me. At first, all I thought he would do was hit me with the spare belt he always kept hanging in his room, but he did far much worse. He..." Kase stops there, trailing off. I gaze at him slowly. Tears run down his eyes swiftly.

"Well? Come on boy, spit it out," a member from the Owl clan remarks."

Kase sniffles, but quickly collects himself. He continues his story.