13 - Christi

"Hey, Brina!" he says to Sabrina. I scream, then slam the door in his face. Sabrina and I turn, look at each other, and let out screams. Mom peeks her head around the corner.

"Oh hey, Mom!" I spurt out.

"What is going on, Christi?" she asks, looking a bit startled. I gulp.

"Uh nothing, just, uh, saw a spider that's all," I say, still very shaken. She nods.

"Okay, just please, no more screaming," she says. "You too, Sabrina." And with that, I'm left with Sabrina, and—gulp—Kase.

"Honey, did you let Easton's friend in?" The doorknob rattles. "Oh honey, it was such a simple task!" She sighs heavily, clearly exasperated with me, as always. She swings open the door, not even care that she might be facing the most traitor of a person. Mom plasters a surprisingly large grin on her face.

"Oh, you must be Kase! I'm Evie! Oh, it's so nice you could come over!" She continues to blabber with Kase. Easton comes racing down the stairs. He and Kase do some sort of handshake thing. Not sure what to call it, I never understand boys. Then, what comes out next from Easton's mouth gives me a heart attack.

"Kase! My boy!" I wanna throw up. I motion to Sabrina for us to get out of here. Easton and Kase trot to the living room, while Mom calls out, "If you need anything I'll be in the kitchen making dinner!" As Sabrina and I sprint away, I want to scream at Mom, "No way is this crazy guy eating dinner with us!" But Sabrina has already dragged me across half the lawn by the time I even make a peep.

I open my mouth to say something, but Sabrina says, "Don't even dare!"

So we sit in silence for a while. This gives me time to ponder everything. For one, why is Kase here in the first place? We left him in the water prison! UNDERWATER! How the heck did he get up here? For some reason, I don't wanna know. I bounce up and down on the trampoline, the distinctive sound of the springs ricocheting in my ears.

I chew on the remaining cheese we have left. It's mostly string cheese! Yum! Sabrina looks cautiously at the cheese and reaches for the granola bars.

"To mourn my loss I shall not eat anymore—"

"That's it, I've had it with you!" I push her off of the trampoline, forgetting for a few secs that she has a cast. She winces, landing. Right at Katy's feet. I can't believe my eyes.

"Christi, don't hurt her more than she deserves." Sabrina glares. Katy raises her eyebrows, then adds, "Not like she deserved it in the first place. What I'm saying though, is that there are things that can happen in someone's life that will stick in their head forever. Remember me?" Sabrina gets up from her position on the ground. I start to bounce again, but she speaks. "You make that choice, Christine Brandon. Impact people in the right way. Not the wrong way. Just remember." I bounce louder, and louder. Sabrina joins me. We stop instantly when we hear her next words. "Actions can never be taken back." It's now that I realize she's not herself. She's... ghostly.

She turns, wisps of brown hair blowing as the wind lashes out. Then she disappears. Fades right into the wind itself, before I can say a word.

"Hey, Christi," Sabrina says. We're in my room, sitting in a purple mass of stuff. "Is it okay to ask?"

"Ask what?" I answer. Sabrina starts to talk, trailing off here and there, making me blink out of reality.

"Christi, are you listening?" I snap back to the present.

"Wait, what happened?!"

She sighs, fed up with my nonsense. "Is it okay to ask..." she starts, "if Katy's all right?" It's my turn to sigh.