10 - Christi

"Katy!" I scream out of shock. Her head turns to the noise of my voice and her face whitens.

"Christi! They're haunting me, the sounds, the voices, they're speaking in my head and torturing me!" I stop and make a strangled sound in my throat. Could it be Zaroho? No, it can't be, it can't! I turn to find Sabrina in the same state of shock as I am. This is one moment, where I actually care about Katy, where I actually care about her. Skifter appears in the hall, though no one can see or hear him. Everything is happening so fast, I don't have time to wonder why Skifter has been at school with me the whole time. It is Zaroho. Save Katy before she is controlled by him. He's trying to take her away from you! Skifter instructs.

What do I do? I answer.

Fight back with your mind, do what you can. I scream. My voice erupts in the ears of every person in the hallway. Katy faints instantly. I rush to her side, desperate.

"Call the nurse! Someone!" I know Sabrina just hobbled off to find some help. I forgot one key detail. Katy was going to be the victim of a fight. A hand flies down, striking her on the side. I pull something out of my pocket. It's really part of my protractor. I have one of those fancy kinds, with a swingy bit so you can measure angles precisely. It looks like a knife. I know this is against my beliefs, but I can't help it. Katy is in danger.

Pulling my "knife" from its hiding spot, I shout, "If one of you dare touch my sister, you deal with me!" Sabrina comes back, with Nurse Poppy behind her. I quickly hide my "knife" and watch as it all unfolds. Nurse Poppy is soon joined by people. Hospital people. This is more serious than I thought.

Easton is here soon, and I give him a worried look. He nods regretfully and I stand next to him. After a little while, I hand him my "knife" and walk away. He can help defend Katy. He is much stronger anyway. As I stride out, I think to myself silently. Peculiar, isn't it? I've never felt this way for my sister, ever. Weird. I just hope Katy is safe. I realize something just then. If Katy fainted, is Zaroho still in her mind? Or is he gone? I'm hoping with all my heart and all my mind and all my soul and with all my faith that Katy is okay, and Zaroho is gone from her mind. I turn on my heel instantly. I need to retrieve my "knife."

"Sabrina! Ya wanna come over to my house tonight?" I ask. Sabrina shrugs.

"I dunno, I don't think I can make it—" She looks at her feet.

"We're having fried chicken and rice!" I taunt. Fried chicken and white rice is Sabrina's favorite dinner meal. Her head snaps up, and her eyes seem as if the meal has been presented in front of her. Her tongue almost droops out of her mouth, but then she realizes.

"Absolutely! I'll be there, 5:00 sharp!" With that, she bounces on her way home. I smile cheerfully, then I laugh. Sabrina turns back to me and grins. Then, unexpectedly, Adelaide pops out of nowhere, holding two pieces of confetti paper in her hand. Sabrina turns to go, on account of seeing Adelaide (out of habit). Adelaide calls to her.

"Sabrina, wait! I need to talk to you! And you too, Christi!" I cringe. Adelaide has been being well, non-Adelaidish. It's so weird. As if she's actually going to be friends with us! Yeah, right! I mean, are we really going to accept her, after all the snooty things she's done in the years we've been in her class?

Sabrina looks at me widely. I shrug. I'm not sure what evil plans she's up to, but I hope it doesn't cause us too much trouble. Adelaide lifts her pointed chin, along with her slender arched eyebrows. She simply says (in a pretty fake cheery voice), "You're both invited to my birthday party!" Sabrina's expression lightens, and I look at her like she's crazy. Then, her thoughts intertwine with mine, and I know exactly what she's thinking. This is our chance to become popular. This is our chance to be known. I bite my lip, not sure what this will mean in our future. After thinking about it, I'm handed one confetti piece of paper. Whatever happens, I hope it means good for Sabrina and me.