9 - Sabrina

I am officially dead. Okay, not literally but metaphorically, yes. My dear old mother grounded me. For two weeks! Come on! How am I supposed to do anything? Like, stop Zaroho, and stuff? I mean, really, I'm only on the second day, and I'm practically in prison all over again.

I sigh and slump further down on my rough, wooden desk. I am supposed to be doing the homework that I missed (which, by the way, is a lot) but I can't focus. I stare down my dividing decimals worksheet, which I don't even remember how to do because guess what? I WASN'T HERE FOR THE LESSON!

"Ugh!" I shout into my scarlet locks. "Thanks a lot, Mom," I mumble through the mass. The homework that I am supposed to be doing is this: For math, I have dividing decimals, for science I have to work on the anatomy of a frog. For reading, I have to read this book called 'Sunshine to Hold the Fear' by Kailey Tan and do a report on it. Social studies, well, I have to take a test, make an immigrant map of California, and do a presentation on a certain city. I just count myself lucky for not having any Language Arts homework.

"Hey Lupo, do you know how to divide decimals?" I question half-heartedly.

"Yes, would you like me to help?" His being asks me.

"Wait, hold up, you can divide decimals?" I inquire in astonishment.

"Yes, did you really think I was that uneducated?" he responds, sounding slightly offended.

"Uh, no, of course not!" I hastily glaze over my mistake. I can practically hear his pout, but I don't pay any mind.

"So, ya going to teach me or what," I state.

"Do I have any choice?" He sighs. I grin.

"Nope! Not really." So he proceeds to tell me this, and that, and everything I need to know about dividing decimals and more. Very soon, my mind is mush and I can't possibly learn any more information.

"Hey, shouldn't you already know how to divide decimals?" He says, suspicion lacing his voice.

"Hey, I'm lagging a little in math okay? Mom's already making me get a tutor for it so don't go harping on me too," I snap back. I feel him withdraw ever so slightly and I sigh. "Listen, I know that was a little harsh, but I get very stressed when I work on math. Right now, I have a C- in that class, so, yeah," I apologize.

"That's okay Sabrina," he tells me. I breathe a sigh of relief. I don't want to lose Lupo along with all connections to the outside world, excluding school.

"Sabrina! Breakfast!" Jago calls from downstairs. I lick my lips. Yum, in my opinion, breakfast is the best part of the day. I just love waffles, and orange juice and...okay, I'm very hungry now.

"I'm coming!" I reply, hurrying out of my small room. The smell of delicious bacon fills the air and I practically melt into my chair. On the table is a plate of bacon, a bowl of scrambled eggs, and a large platter of amazingly yummy waffles.

"How far are you in your homework, honey?" My mom asks, bustling over with a glass of milk. Ugh, I hate milk.

"Pretty good," I lie. I have only just started on my math, but I need to gain her trust so I can maybe get out a little earlier. Yesterday, Christi called. She told me about her little adventure involving a pool, and a laundry chute.

"Ths wfles are good!" I mumble through a mouthful. Jago nods in agreement. I have only been back for one day, and everyone is just treating it like nothing ever happened! I mean, I thought they would blow up at me for way longer than a day.

"Thanks, sweetie," Mom says, focusing on the dishes that she was washing. I down the glass of milk she gave me (choking a little because it's so nasty) and race back upstairs.