12 - Christi

"You're lying." Of course, Sabrina's first response would be that.

"I'm not. Check your bag." I motion to where our bags are lying at the pool's edge. With great skill, Sabrina leaps over everything in her path, stopping not even for a split second. I chew down on my lip. We get invited to Adelaide's party and it comes down to this. Just swell. Real slick. Don't even mention the $30 gift I had to get Adelaide. Apparently some phone cases cost over $5. I mean, this one slides out and everything and has a bunch of other features I find no use for, but really? Come on people, 30 bucks for a mere phone case? You're kidding!

A panting Sabrina jumps into my thoughts, scattering everything inside my brain.

"I couldn't find it!" she wails.

I'm about to say, told you so, but I don't, because these necklaces mean a lot to us. They even remind us of our Soul Animals, not like I want to be reminded of Skifter, but okay.

"We can go ask Mrs. Adelaide's mom?" I put in.

"We can go ask, who?" Sabrina answers.

"Mrs. Adelaide's mom." Sabrina cracks up in return. I roll my eyes. "Let's just go ask." Sabrina wipes the fake tears of joy from her squinted eyes.

"Yeah, you do that," she counters.

"And why aren't you coming?" I question. "We're in this together. Are you coming?"

"No."

"And why not?" I'm starting to get frustrated with this red-headed best friend of mine.

"They aren't our real necklaces. Remember? Zaroho took our real ones." Sabrina stares straight into my eyes as the realization sinks in. I look down at the concrete, smooth against my bare toes as I refuse to look her in the eye.

"They're not your real what again?" A nasal voice pierces the silence. Adelaide.

"And what do you think you're doing here?" Sabrina snaps.

"It's my house! I can do whatever. I. Want," Adelaide shoots back. She grabs our hands and races us to an empty corner of the yard. A short brick wall runs across and around the perimeter of the lawn. She hoists herself up and motions us to follow.

"And what exactly do you want with us? Why are we here?" Sabrina fires. Adelaide grins the most uncanny grin ever.

"Because you're my new best friends! You know, I've always admired you, Sabrina!" Sabrina glares. "Your eyes were always the prettiest green. Just like the sea. In France. I went to France, guys, did you hear? We got first-class seating and they served delicacies on the plane." I roll my eyes. Count on Adelaide to give you details all about her posh expensive life. And besides, Sabrina's eyes are blue. What the? Something's not right.

Adelaide pats the empty space next to her. "Come sit, Christine. I saved this seat just for you!" I gape. She called me Christine. Hardly anyone calls me Christine. Except when I'm in trouble. And I sense trouble coming. She pats the other space beside her and says the same thing to Sabrina.

"Brina, come settle in with us! It'll be fun!" The way she emphasizes the word 'fun' gives me the creeps. She sure knows how to be uh, out of the ordinary?

"Oh, no! That's all right, Adelaide. I'd rather sit with Christi." Sabrina climbs up the brick to sit next to me.

"Don't you mean, Christine?" Adelaide corrects. I want to get the heck out of here. I cringe as Sabrina nudges me.

"So, Brina, what were you and Christine talking about earlier?" Adelaide questions. Sabrina whispers in my ear.

"Christi, something's up. The only person who's ever called me 'Brina' is Kase. Kase. And we know what happened to him!" I nod. Sabrina puts on a super joyful voice and answers, "Oh, we were just talking about how our phones are just so unreal! So last season! Right Christi?" Adelaide raises her eyebrows. "I mean, Christine...?" Sabrina says. Adelaide gives her an approving look.