11 - Sabrina

What did the Soul Animals just do? I am so very confused. I'm at Christi's dinner table right now, and I keep exchanging glances with Christi. Her parents are chatting happily with each other, and as much as I love this meal, I need to speak with Christi. Alone. I hurriedly shove some delicious rice into my mouth. Even though I'm in a hurry, I still thoroughly enjoy the meal. Christi finishes in a few minutes, so I follow her lead. Christi gets up and takes her plate to the sink. I grab my plate as well, and follow her upstairs.

"What in the world was that?" I ask, baffled. Christi shrugs, just as confused as I am.

"No idea, but on a somewhat related topic, Skifter won't answer me!" she exclaims, worry lacing her voice.

"Don't worry," I tell her, "he's probably not answering because he can't tell you any more things." She nods.

"That makes sense," she clarifies. I nod as well.

"So, what was that?" I ask, referring to the message the Soul Animals gave us. She shrugs, clearly just as baffled as I.

"I have no idea," she says.

"Hmm, 'come to the books' that could mean school maybe?" I offer.

"Actually, I think it means the library!" Christi exclaims.

"Oh yeah! How come I didn't think of that before?!" I say, spirits soaring.

"Wait, what about 'among the hidden.' What does that mean?" Christi questions. Oh, I forgot about that part.

"Hmm, why don't we just go to the library first," I say.

"Okay, but first thing in the morning we're going!" Christi agrees.

Ding Dong!

"Sabrina, your dad's here!" Christi's mom calls from downstairs. Ugh! I exchange my goodbye with Christi and plod down the stairs. My dad is standing in the doorway, still in his work clothes. My dad works at Tech Center. Yeah, I know, what a creative name! He is the manager for the Software department. My mom works as a marine biologist. She gets to actually go out at sea and stuff. I want to do that when I grow up. It just sounds so cool! I mean, maybe she could let me do some exploring with her sometime, that really would be amazing! Does she know how much I dream of being out there in the ocean, swimming alongside dolphins and hoping to research the entire earth's waters? Okay, sorry, I'm losing focus here.

"Sabrina!" My dad says, clearly getting a little impatient.

"One minute..." I trail off, trying to shove my foot in my sneaker. He sighs. I can basically hear him glance at his watch. He clears his throat.

"Have you ever thought about actually un-tying the shoelace before putting your foot in?" he asks, sounding slightly bemused. My dad tries to act tough and business like, but really, he's a softie at heart.

"Yes, well, the thought has occurred to me a few times, but I think to myself: why go to all that extra work? Aha!" I add in triumph, seeing as I had just gotten my foot into the shoe. "Ah dang it!" I exclaim, after feeling that my sock has been pushed partially off. By now, Christi and her mom are both waiting. I shoot Christi a smirk, and she just rolls her eyes, a small smile playing on her lips.

"Come on Sabrina, I'm sure they have much more productive things to do right now," Dad reprimands me, now getting more irritated. I sigh.

"All right, I'll just live in discomfort for the next three minutes of my life," I say dramatically.

"That's my girl!" he answers, slapping me on the back, nearly knocking me over into the shoe pile. I steady myself and say my final goodbyes.

"Bye, thanks for having me!" I tell them. They wave as we get into the car.