9 - Christi

It all happened so fast. I had gotten off of the walkie-talkie with Sabrina, then ate breakfast while Mom prepared the food for the picnic. Dad had decided to take a walk for a little more fresh air before we headed out to the picnic spot. Mom agreed, but still had to prepare the food, so Katy and Easton went with Dad. Leaving me alone with Mom, myself, and Ash. Mom had to rush off to the store to buy some cucumbers though, so I was left all by myself. I had grabbed the mentelavar from my bedroom and sprinkled the food with it. Mom came through the door the second I closed the picnic basket, and I made an excuse: I was just adding condiments. I did eventually have to put in some condiments while Mom wasn't looking, but you know... better to fix the lies and turn them into truth, right?

Now, I'm here, standing with Sabrina, gazing across the picnic area. It's a meadow, with dandelions engulfing every green strip of dew-covered grass, a flood of yellow. It's gorgeous, the landscape that is. I sigh, drinking in the beauty of the meadow. Then, a hand flies out in front of me.

"Huh?" Comes from my mouth. Sabrina's face appears before me, and I cringe. I guess I wasn't paying too much attention.

"They're setting up!" says Sabrina. I spot our families grabbing the blanket and putting the food on the table. I shudder then act normal and help the setting up. Sabrina skips to my side to see what Mom packed for lunch.

"Ooh! Sandwiches! And fries! And pasta salad! And cookies! And pie! And yum!" I laugh at Sabrina's excitement for the food. It does look delicious though. A sound rattles my insides.

"Uh, Sabrina?" I mutter, nervous. I hear the sound again, and whirl around, Sabrina then looks at me weirdly.

"What?" She answers. Then, she notices the sound and grasps my arm. "Is that what I think it is?" She whispers. It is. Bees! Both Sabrina and I hate bees. They are always so bothersome. I mean, really! Insects are called bugs because they bug you! I motion Sabrina to follow me to our secret hiding spot. I need to discuss some important things with her.

I run across the meadow, then stop by a certain willow tree. I push the branches of hanging leaves aside, then disappear behind the greenery. Sabrina immediately follows, and we settle down in the chairs we "stole" from our houses and placed here. I turn my voice to a low whisper.

"Sabrina, I have things to talk about with you. And Lupo and Skifter." The two Soul Animals appear with us, and I merely give a small grin to Skifter while Sabrina gushes over Lupo. Like I mentioned before, Skifter wasn't meant for me.

"Go ahead," Sabrina says, reviving the conversation, "ask your questions."

"Why didn't we just use the portal to get out of the prison? Wouldn't that have been easier?" I inquire.

Lupo cuts in, "No, it wouldn't." While Sabrina and I look at each other in bewilderment, I ponder the possibilities of why that would be.

"Zaroho infused Kontravado into your fake necklaces. The special potion combined with the gems in your necklaces gives Zaroho the power to control all of your magical abilities while you're wearing the charms. Kontravado is from the words of two different languages. Combined, they mean 'wicked control'." Skifter swoops around after speaking.

"Wait, if Zaroho got Kontravado into those fake necklaces, that means he can control all of our magic?" Sabrina questions worriedly.

"Not all," Lupo corrects, "but most. That means now, the portal works only at Zaroho's command. Nothing more. It will not listen to you. Zaroho opened the portal, because he sensed you were coming, Christi. It was all a trap."

"Kontravado is a powerful weapon to use against enemies," Skifter continues. "Once the object is infected with the spreading poison, it can't turn back. It's as if the object is bewitched, like with demons. That is why it's extremely threatening when held in an evil power. It can't be removed. Only destroyed by destroying the object it possesses." A thought strikes me suddenly.