3 - Sabrina

It has been around three days since I have gotten the call from Christi, and I am very worried about Kase.

"My name is Kase, and I am here to take you home," Kase told me. I stared, open-mouthed at what he had just said.

"You WHAT?" I asked in astonishment. He rolled his caramel-colored eyes and repeated himself.

"I am here to take you home." I had put a hand on my forehead, trying to comprehend it all. Kase came over and plopped down on the cot with me. He told me everything. How he had seen me come in, and how I was innocent, (even though I don't even know what I am supposedly innocent for, or how he even knows that) and he told me that he knows how to get out of here, and how he can save both of us. He told me how he had been stuck here for his entire life, and how his parents had left him when he was small.

"So, yeah, that's basically my life story!" He finished, fake cheeriness rang in his voice like church bells. I nodded and launched into my life story. I told him everything. Like how I met Christi, and how I have my dad's hair and my mother's eyes. I don't know how long we sat there, talking (for there was no clock) but I estimated about one hour. Just as he was about to leave, Kase turned around, meaning to say something more.

"Kase, watch out!" I shrieked at the sight of one of the guards opening the door. But I was too late, and the door swung open, unintentionally belaboring him in the back of the head. Blood was everywhere, but I collected my bearings and quickly dragged his unconscious self under the bed, so the guard wouldn't see him. I caught sight of the guard's name tag, (what guard wears a name tag?) Ajax.

"Hey, um, Ajax? Whatcha doin' here?" I asked, trying not to sound too suspicious.

"I heard voices," he replied. "Who were you talking to?" he demanded. Sweat beaded on my forehead, and I racked my mind for an answer.

"I was, uh, talking to myself!" I stuttered. He nodded as if that was completely normal, and trotted out of my cell, shutting the door behind him. He probably just thought I was going crazy. I rushed over to Kase and desperately tried to help him. Then, I got the call from Christi.

Since then, I have managed to use some of the fabric from his clothes, (since I am wearing a swimsuit) and wrap his head. I sigh. Why me? Why not, like... some other random person? I mean, what's so special about me? Kase begins to stir.

"Huh? What—?" He breaks off, looking around the cell. I hasten over to him and begin bombarding him with questions.

"Are you okay? Does your head hurt? Do you remember anything?" I inquire anxiously.

"I have no idea if I'm okay, I think I do, and yes, my head hurts," he replies to my many questions, wincing. I bob my head and take a look at his bandages. They are bloody but seem to be holding up just fine after the lacerating. I decide not to mess with them. I help Kase sit up, and for the first time, notice the bags under his eyes. He must be very tired. We were brought food a little while ago, so I shoved the rest of it towards him. But then a thought occurs.

"Hey, don't you have to go to school?" I ask him, noticing that he is school age still. He scratches the nape of his neck.

"Well, yes, technically, but... Well let's just say, I don't," he says awkwardly.

"Okay?" I respond, stretching my legs out on the stiff cot. I reach down and grab Kase's hand, pulling him up on the cot as well. He clutches his head but doesn't complain. I lean against the cold stone wall and muse the situation.

"So," I begin, breaking the stretch of silence. "You said that you could get me out of here. How?" He doesn't answer immediately, but instead, runs a hand through his hazel colored hair.

"Well... I have to work out the details, and um..." he breaks off, looking embarrassed. I raise one eyebrow, and suddenly it dawns on me.

"You haven't figured it out yet, have you?" I inquire in amazement, truly astounded that he had the nerve to break into my cell and attempt to rescue me. But I don't want to seem like I'm one of those 'damsel in distress' people. I don't need to be rescued! I know Christi will eventually, but if this way is faster, then I'm all for it. Although, not to mention getting hit on the head and bleeding, and yet not even have a plan for his original mission! Wow, he must have some guts! I think to myself.

He shakes his head, looking abashed. I sink further into the brick bed and try to think. Somebody must be behind this, right? But who? I turn to Kase, and inquire,

"Do you know who is behind this all?" He looks at me, surprised, but slowly nods.

"Really? Great! Can you tell me?" I ask, curiosity getting the better of me.

"Well, you see, that's kind of classified information." He tells me proudly, puffing out his chest in importance. I roll my blue eyes in vexation. Sometimes, I think he can be a bit arrogant. But I have more important things to address right now.

"But I'm important enough for you to tell me!" I press, hoping for good results. He shakes his head, barely containing his laughter. "Humph," I pout, crossing my skinny arms.

"Maybe next time 'Brina.' " He grins, swinging his legs. My blue orbs widen in surprise.

"What?" I ask in confusion.

"'Brina,' you know, Sabrina shortened," he explains, looking delighted with himself. I shrug, having mixed feelings. I lay down my weary self, and suddenly notice that I am actually in pretty good shape. Except for the malnourishment, and aching, I think I'm fairly healthy! Yay me! I smile at the 'mini me' inside my head and try to get comfy on the rock that is supposed to be a bed. I wondered if they could possibly at least get more comfortable beds! And better food, and—oh. Everything needs improving here because guess what? It's a prison!

"Kase, if you want, I can spare some floor for you. That is... if you don't snore." I chuckle. He raises a hand up to his heart and pretends to be honored.

"Thank you so much for this honor!" I laugh and tell him some breaking news.

"Knucklehead, your heart is on the other side." I have recently learned about that in health, so I know a lot! Well, some at least. Okay, I'm lucky I remember how to add. And that isn't even health related.

Kase blushes and says, "I totally knew that." I grin, and tell him to make himself comfortable. Taking the invitation, he makes himself comfortable. On my cot.

"Oh, this isn't what you meant?" He smirks, settling in.

"Um, no?" I replied, pushing him off. "I'm pretty sure I specifically said floor, not cot!"

"Well then, I suppose I will be sleeping on the cold, wet, hard, uncomfortable floor," he says, putting on his puppy face.

"Yep!" I chuckle, whacking him with my pillow. My only pillow. Oh. I pause.

"You need a pillow," I state. He rolls his eyes and grabs the one I hit him with.

"Hey!" I protest. He shrugs.

"You get the cot, I get the pillow!" I sigh, but try my best to get situated comfortably anyway. Soon my eyes drift closed and I am off... to probably more nightmares.