16 - Sabrina

What does Christi want to talk to me about? I mean, I'm not complaining. Spending time with her will be good, considering that I haven't had a best friend for... a while.

My sneakers hit the pavement, as I walk from school to her house. It's a nice day I suppose. But the thought of homework and Zaraho haunt me. Plus, what was the weird text about? It's all just so strange.

I have reached Christi's house. I can feel my pale yellow backpack weighing down on my shoulder, but I can't seem to move forward. Should I really be doing this? I mean, is she going to actually tell me? Forgive me possibly? Who knows. Certainly not me.

I ring the doorbell.

"Why, hello Sabrina! My, it's been ages since you've been here. Come in, come in!" Her mom greets enthusiastically.

"Hi," I mumble, stepping into the house.

"CHRISTI!" She shouts upstairs. "Sabrina's here!"

I plop my backpack down on a chair, and look around the house, waiting for Christi. Their house is very nice I suppose. Their living room coordinates perfectly, with a white and black theme to it. But the thing that most catches my eye, is one of the pictures on their mantle.

It's me and Christi, when we had our first sleepover. Seven years ago. We look so happy, in that picture, just enjoying life. I think about what we are in right now, and I try to hold back the ball of emotion in my stomach. I need to apologize, and fast.

"You came!" Christi's eyes light up like Christmas lights. I swallow back that stupid emotion ball, and smile at my best friend.

"Now, you girls have fun!" Her mom calls from the living room.

"Okay Mom, we'll be upstairs!" Christi calls back, already pulling me up.

I gaze around, drinking in the familiar room. Purple. Lots of it, seeing as it's her favorite color. Her purple bedspread, even the little nick in the wall. From when we were playing with our puzzle magnets, and one flew into the wall. I don't know how the force was enough, but here we are!

"Soooo, what did you want to talk about?" I ask, settling myself on her fuzzy rug.

"Well, quite a lot of things actually," Christi replies, fingering her pillow.

"Okay, like what?" I pry.

"Well, let's start with the... bathroom thing," she says. I shrug.

"Sure!"

"Okay, so, um. I left lunch to go into the bathroom, and I had this vision," she starts.

"About what?" I ask, now getting intrigued. She takes a deep breath.

"About Katy," she informs me sadly.

"Well, give me more details," I say, settling into the rug more. It's a thick rug, but my elbows hurt anyway.

"So, she was lying in a bed. But not just any bed..." she trails off.

"Yes..." I prompt.

"A hospital bed," Christi finishes, tears collecting in her eyes.

"Oh... Christi," I say sympathetically. Seeing that must have just been awful.

"But that's not all, she had a heart monitor, a heart monitor," she articulates sadly.

"I am so sorry," I say, thinking about how I would feel if Jago was there. In the hospital bed. With a heart monitor.

"And then... and then she died," Christi chokes out, dissolving into tears. I scoot over and try to comfort her. That must have been really hard, to see Katy die. Even if it wasn't real, it's still something no one wants to ever see.