21 - Sabrina

I still really don't know whether to trust Kase or not. I know what I said, but still, we can't really work with him, unless we can trust him.

"Sabrina!" Christi calls, waving me over, to where she and Kaidri are talking.

"What? What happened?" I ask frantically. Christi smiles slightly.

"The Soul Animals have figured out a way to fully trust Ka-Cody!" she quickly corrects herself. That got my attention.

"How? It's not like we can always know what he is thinking or something," I point out.

"Not necessarily fully trust him, but trust him more than we do right now. If we can't trust him, how do we work with him?" Kaidri chirps, voicing my earlier thoughts. I nod, and pull my thoughts away from being able to read thoughts.

"Whatever," Christi dismisses it. "Just tell her!" I turn to the hummingbird, eager to know. Maybe it's some sort of cool Soul Animal technology or something! I mean, to build this, they must have some cool gadgets.

"Well, we were thinking, that Cody could go through this old, ancient ritual that we have. It hasn't been used in centuries, but we have a few animals here who know how to perform it," she explains.

"Wait, what will it do exactly?" I question. Kaidri's wings hum, like a very quiet fan. It's kind of soothing actually.

"Well, to put it simply, it will bind him to our trust, and to Sateen Klenot. If he loses a certain amount of trust from us, it backfires on him, and does something," Kaidri looks uneasy at the last part. Christi's eyes widen.

"So it's either something good, or something bad, like a curse?" Kaidri nods, and her iridescent colors shine in the light.

"But so what will exactly happen to him if it backfires?" I settle down on Christi's rug, and finger some of the tassles.

"No one truly knows," Kaidri says, in a hushed voice, "it's only ever happened once, and since no one dared to speak about it, so no one here knows. It might be hidden in the library, but I doubt it,"

The story is, foreboding, no doubt, but we should still do it. After all, if it works, and if he is just telling the truth, then he shouldn't be worried.

"When is this going to happen?" Christi inquires, also sitting down.

"In a few hours. We still need to get prepared, and get more information," Kaidri informs us.

"Should we come?" I really don't know if I want to actually. But I probably should if I can. I mean, it might be interesting after all.

"If you want to, it's completely up to you. Now, I must leave." Kaidri flies out of the room, leaving me with Christi, and my thoughts. And the few remaining chocolates.

Hold it.

There's cupcakes here?

I shuffle over, trying not to get caught by Christi.

"Sabrina! You're really going to eat cupcakes right now? We have way more important things to do right now," Christi admonishes. I hang my head, but then stuff another one in my mouth, trying to hide behind my hair.

Then, I almost die.

Okay, so that might be an exaggeration. I just choked. But hey, people have died from choking!

I cough up some bits of very moist cupcake onto her floor. Christi wrinkles her nose, and pats me on the back, clearly avoiding the mess.

"You better clean that up," she says, disgusted. I flop dramatically onto the bed.