1 - Christi

"Sabrina! Sabreeeena!" I call, facing the horizon. Where could she be? I whisper in my mind, a strike of worry entering my head like a prodigal throwing the doors open. Suddenly, I spot footprints leading back towards home. They seem larger than Sabrina's would be, but reluctantly, I start to let them lead me. Though I know not who they come from, I follow.

Maybe she left without me, I decide and rush back home to find out. My feet plod across the sandy ground, and I feel my toes squish in the golden grains. I finally reach home, and everyone turns to look at me. Sabrina's mom steps up and asks,

"Where's Sabrina?" I furrow my eyebrows. What?

"Did she not come back?" Expressions of fear rattle my brain. My eyes almost water, but I hold the tears back. I'm not that good at it, so salty drops roll down my face, making my vision blurry.

Sabrina's mom shakes her head in cautious anxiety, her blonde hair blowing swiftly in the wind. Then, realizing, the tears come. To both Mrs. Waller and I.

"I don't know where Sabrina is. You should know, she's your daughter!" I scream, anger and fear rising in my expression without warning. "Tell me where my best friend is!!!!" I must be giving a tantrum that I haven't done for years, but I don't care. As unrealistic as this all is... it's true. There's only one explanation. A thought of concentration is interrupted by the sorrowful looks on the faces of Sabrina's parents. Her dad is in shock, and her mom has teardrops falling from her eyes, wetting the already damp grass. The saddest part though is Jago. It seems like he doesn't want to believe it.

"She could just be... hiding or something..." Jago says. Sabrina's mom nods.

"You're right, Jago. Didn't you see her, Christi? Didn't you?"

I just shake my head, glaring.

"She must have drowned, okay? I don't know where she went and maybe I'll never know. If you think this doesn't affect me, it does! Okay!? Just leave me alone!" I storm off, slamming the screen door against the trim and marching to my room, anger still bubbling inside of me.

Picking up my phone, I dial Sabrina. No answer. I dial several times until a video pops up. I cautiously click the play button, unaware of the truth. The video suddenly reveals Sabrina on the screen. Her expression is pure dismay.

"Sabrina, Sabrina! It's me, Christi! It's CHRISTI!" Her expression doesn't change. In fact, it gets worse. She covers her ears as if she hears screaming. I'm not screaming though, am I? Does she even hear me? Or is she faking? But why on earth would she be faking?

The screen goes black and I flop on my bed. Staring at the ceiling, I dream of what might be happening to Sabrina. Groaning in sadness, I turn to look at the wall instead. There, posted on the wall is art; two names are written there like an equation.

Sabrina Jenna Waller + Christine Alexa Brandon = Best Friends Forever!

"Where could she be? Why does everything bad have to happen to me?" I say to myself. I throw my friendship bracelet against the wall, nearly cracking the gem. I storm over and pick it up, then set it on my desk. Then I think about Sabrina. She's probably in worse condition than I am. Through the video, I remember her horrified face when I thought she could hear me. She didn't look too good. I think to myself, when will I ever see my best friend again? For some reason, I don't want to know the answer.

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! I turn, seeing Katy's face inches from mine instead of the alarm clock I thought was making the noise. Katy is my older sister and in my eyes, "living for only one cause." That one cause is to bother me.