21 - Christi

"Sabrina..." I start in a whisper. "I'm scared..." I sound like I'm three years old again. But in a situation like this, who can't be?

The ground shakes beneath us, rustling us from a firm stature to one wobbly, like jello.

"Find your bedrooms!" Skifter yells to us, flying in abruptly. "You'll be safest there!"

I start to make a mad dash through the crumbling of walls and raining of debris everywhere, but unlike me, Sabrina stands confident.

"I wanna help," she says, her eyes glistening.

She's about to cry again, I think to myself. But I shouldn't be thinking this, when more serious matters are on our hands.

Lupo hurries over to Sabrina and me.

"What are you two still doing here? It's too dangerous out on the battlefield. Get to your rooms," he hisses. This is first time I have ever seen Lupo so mad. And urgent.

I nod, tears slowly streaking down my face. I grab Sabrina by the hand, and drag her away from Sateen Klenot and the Circle of Friedania.

"Christi, stop! Stop! Bring me back!" she wails. "Christi!!!!!!!!!"

I hurry her to the portal, where we can either escape to our homes or to the bedrooms we have been given by the Soul Animals.

Sabrina continues to plead me on the way.

"We have to go back, Christi. You don't know what we could do to help!"

"And you don't know what we could do to get ourselves killed!" I revoke, dragging her along.

Sabrina yanks her wrist from my grasp. Her fiery hair falls in waves against her shoulders. Her face is full of emotions. Many emotions.

"Christi, stop worrying about yourself for once. Can't you ever think to save anyone else? Be selfless, Christi! Care for others. Put others before yourself. Don't you understand?" she asks, eyes coating in tears. "Why do you think the Soul Animals came to us? We are important to them, Christi. We are like their life. If we leave them now," she pauses, pointing back at the battle scene, "it's like we are leaving them to die. They are our friends. Like family. And as Kase said: family does not kill family. We are their only hope. We can save them all. But only if we stop being so selfish and stop being so focused on ourselves for one time in our life. That time is now. Only if we choose to bring out the kindness that was hidden from our lives this whole time. We can put up a fight, Christi. There are more better things that leaving your friends and family to die while you choose to spare yourself! So come with me. We can stop this once and for all."

I sigh, thousands of thoughts rushing through my head like wind carrying the leaves on a crisp autumn day.

"You are right, Sabrina. We are their last hope. And I will be there, fighting for those I love."

Sabrina smiles at me, the happiest I have seen her in days.

"Let's go end this battle."

We scramble back out, turning our heels and heading back the way we came. From Klenouzlo. And back to Klenouzlo again.

As I jog alongside Sabrina, I ask, "Who is it we're fighting, exactly?"

Sabrina sighs. "I... I dunno..."

But I can see the look in her eyes. She's lying.

"Tell me," I prompt.

"Fine..." She takes a deep breath. "An army is gathered all around Klenouzlo. Practically everywhere you would find a Soul Animal. They are dressed in highly sophisticated uniforms. They carry weapons, and torches."