16 - Christi

"Okay, well... look at the time, good luck with Adelaide!" I pat Sabrina on the back, then make a mad dash back to my house.

"Hey!" Sabrina squeals, just as the door opens. I dive for one of the trimmed bushes.

"Oh! Sabrina!" Adelaide's mom looks just as overdue for some makeup remover as the last time we saw her.

"Hey... there... Mrs. Jacqueline!"

"Would you like me to get Adelaide for you?"

A smirk plays on my lips. Tough luck, sucka!

"Uh, yeah, yeah, sure!" I snicker as the door closes again.

"Now, Christi, weren't you supposed to be heading somewhere?" A hand grasps my arm.

Oh, shoot.

"Yeah, yeah. I was going to go... to... uh..."

"Oh! Now I remember!" Sabrina answers. "You were going to come and get our necklaces back! With me!"

I pull out my phone to look at it.

"Hmm... let's see... yeah, no. That wasn't part of my plans today."

Sabrina scowls and glares at me. I smile in triumph.

"Well now it is!" She growls playfully. I groan.

"Fine," I answer. "But don't make me say anything. I'm not here."

"Yeah, whatever!"

The door opens again.

And there stands the dreaded...

"Adelaide." Sabrina stares at the girl.

"Well, what do you want?!" Joy. We chose today of all days to confront her. Joyousness.

"You know, you said that out loud." Sabrina nudges me.

Darn my big fat mouth!

I cover my mouth. I really need to stop talking.

"You said that out loud too—"

"I know, I know! Chill!"

"Well, what are guys doing here?!" Adelaide snaps. "I don't have all the time in the world, ya know!"

I look at Sabrina. I wasn't planning on doing the talking. Sabrina doesn't move a muscle.

Making sure I don't say it out loud, I think to myself, If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

"Adelaide," I start. She glares.

"What? If you're not going to do anything productive in the next five seconds, forget it. I'm going inside. Go away." She starts to open the door.

"WAIT!" She turns back around.

"What?"

I look at Sabrina. She's still a statue. Great. Just great.

"Why did you take our necklaces?" I say. In the corner of my view, I see Sabrina cringe.

"What?"

"You really need to stop saying that," I answer.

She turns to go. I open my mouth to object, but the door slams shut before I can even breathe.

"Well, that went well!" I joke cheerfully. No answer.

"Sabrina?" Still no answer. I search around, but no sign of her. I decide to run back to her house. I'm about ten footsteps away from where I was a few seconds ago, when I hear a voice.