13 - Sabrina

Well. That was definitely an interesting reaction from Christi.

"So Christi, how does this make you feel?" I ask, pretending to be a reporter, holding up an invisible microphone. She swats away my hand, and gives me a look. I just grin.

"Well, that's some um, interesting information," she states, avoiding my question.

"Yes, but, you're avoiding the questions," I tell her, dropping the reporter act.

"I don't know! I mean, I haven't really given him a second thought, and he still doesn't know that I know and—" she rambles.

"Well, do you like him?" I ask bluntly. She makes an unidentifiable face.

"Uhhh... I don't really know! I mean, I haven't spent a lot of time around him, and I don't know a lot about him! It's all a lot to take in actually," she confesses. I nod sympathetically.

We are currently in my room right now and are both flopped down on my bed. Today has been an exhausting day. Adelaide was just, uh, a handful, putting it gently.

My fingers go absentmindedly to my bare neck. Oh right. We don't have our necklaces. I sit up abruptly.

"Christi!" I say startling her.

"What?" she asks, sitting up too.

"What are we going to do about the necklaces?" I wail, the reality of the situation crashing down on me like a ton of bricks. She sighs, realizing as well.

"I have no idea," she says, defeated.

"Well, we have to do something!" I protest. "Those might not be the original necklaces, but they are still special! Plus, I think they are connected to the Soul Animals somehow," I remind her.

"I know, but what? What are we supposed to do? It's just so confusing, and we have no clue what happened!" she tells me, clearly disheartened.

"Maybe we should go to your house! We can clear our minds on the trampoline," I suggest, not wanting to have a completely emotional Christi on my hands. I'm not very good at comforting. See, last time I tried to, Jago ended up crying even louder. And someone called the police because they thought someone was screaming. So that folks, is why.

"Sure, we can do that," she agrees, sniffling a little. So we both pick ourselves up and go downstairs.

"Dad, we're going to Christi's!" I call to him. I can faintly hear the television, but I think he heard me. I grab my phone off the kitchen counter just in case.

I just slip on a flip flop, because the annoying piece of plastic is back on. My leg felt so free without it! So light! It was like I could fly! Okay, so that is a little over the top. But it was amazing! And now, now I'm lopsided again. Joy.

"Let's go!" I announce as Christi finishes putting on her sandals.

"All right!" Christi replies, and we exit the house.

The air feels nice and fresh, just a little humid. My boot scuffs the sidewalk, leaving more and more scratches on it. Serves it right. Although as Christi would say:

"Sabrina! The boot is trying to help you, besides, it's your fault that you twisted your ankle!"

We walk in pleasant silence until we get there. Christi opens the door, and we both step inside the blissfully air conditioned house.

"Trampoline?" Christi asks. I nod happily. I love the trampoline. Although technically I shouldn't really be on it with my boot, I won't jump around a lot. Just a few bounces!