20 - Sabrina

Oh, good grief. Summer camp?? Uh, I would've been overjoyed at that fact a few months ago, but, uh, that ship has sailed. I mean, now I have something way more exciting and pressing on my hands.

"Christi, so we're going to the same one, right?" I ask Christi through the phone.

"Yep, thank the cheeses." She sighs.

I can't help but laugh.

"Cheese!" I exclaim. I can practically hear Christi's disapproval, but I mean, come on. It's cheese we're talking about! Or at least I'm talking about it. But whatever.

"Sabrina, we need to focus here! We have a serious crisis on our hands!" She's basically shrieking through the phone.

"Okay okay. But the solution is simple!" I inform her. I flop onto my bed, exhausted from all the excitement. But now we have another problem. Can a girl ever get some rest around here?

"How is any of this simple?!?!" Christi, I can tell, is very stressed about this.

"Well, most of it isn't. Just this part. We just don't get on the bus! Simple as that," I tell her, pretty proud of myself for coming up with this amazing solution.

"I suppose. But what if our parents want to see us off? And what about the people at camp. They'll notify our parents when they realize we were never there!" Christi points out.

"Well, maybe Lupo and Skifter can help? I mean, they're Soul Animals. They must have some tricks up their sleeves," I muse.

"Oh, sorry, gotta go. Text you!" Christi suddenly signs off. I sigh, and set my phone down. We really didn't solve anything, did we.

I need Lupo. But my necklace, I don't have it. Dang it! Now how do I contact him?

"Sabrina Waller!" I hear my dad's voice from downstairs. Great, now he's home too. Mom already gave me a huge talk about blah blah blah. I gulp, and try to tidy up my room. You never know how far a cleanish room can take you!

"Uh, hey dad! You're home!" I come downstairs, hoping to possibly distract him from my, yet another disappearance.

"Hi sweetie!" My dad is in the kitchen with my mom, eating a banana. Oddly enough, I think bananas are kind of weird. Although, that might be because in sixth grade, we had to mash up one for banana bread or something. My partner mashed it up so much, it looked like liquid boogers. Yeah, that's why.

"Why'd you stay at work? Shouldn't they have let you come home?" My mom asks him, checking the calendar absentmindedly.

Dad laughs wryly.

"Funny story. So I was in the middle of a meeting right? Well, Jeremy thought that—" My dad begins his story. Usually I love to listen to my parents' stories, but this is a perfect opportunity to flee. So I take that opportunity.

I try to sneakily scamper back upstairs. Maybe Christi has left a message by now? But my luck is down the drain by now.

"Sabrina..." My mom warns, as she listens to whatever Jeremy thought. I Groan, and plop myself down on a nearby chair, and rest my head on one hand. If only they knew about what I was doing. Then they might give me some more slack.

I blink and remind myself that I can't. Of course, I can't. They would probably just think I was lying anyway, trying to get out of trouble.

"So, do you want to talk about where you were this afternoon?" My mom turns to me, the 'I don't care if you want to, you will anyway' glint in her eye.

"Uh, not really..." I trail off, but then quickly note mom's expression. "But, uh sure, why not?" I force a laugh. They just sit there calmly, even though I can practically see the lava in them.