11 - Christi

I wake up the next morning with drool falling off the side of my mouth. I wipe it up, hoping Sabrina didn't see it. But she did. She laughs. A good old laugh that I'm surprised to hear; with what happened to Kai and all.

"You know you're disgusting, right?" I smile.

"So are you!" I snap back playfully.

"Yeah," she answers. I grin victoriously. Then she shoots back, "But I'm not the one who left saliva all over her pajamas and laid it all on her best friend's floor!" My head immediately snaps down and my eyes fix their gaze on the human slobber dripping off my top and pooling on the carpet.

"Oops." The words escape my lips.

"Oh, and you might want to take a look in the mirror. You look like a lion that woke up on the wrong side of the bed," Sabrina comments. I know she's only kidding, but I make a note to myself to check the mirror. Sabrina climbs out of bed, throws her fiery hair into a sloppy bun and tiptoes around the room, avoiding the puddles of goop.

"And you're just going to leave me here?" I question, then shove her in a toying manner, sending her feet flying into the biggest drool pool. She lets out a small shriek, grabs her pillows and fires them at me. I giggle, leaving her scowling at the wet saliva on her toes.

"Sabrina? What's happening up there? I heard screaming," Sabrina's mom calls.

"Fine, Mom! Just a little... wet." Sabrina grimaces.

"Oh, I'm heading up now," comes the answer. I can't help it, I've held it in for too long. I half-snort half-laugh. Sabrina shoves me into another drool pool, just as her mom comes through the door, narrowly missing a chance to join our saliva club. She walks to where we're standing.

"Sabrina, Christi, you'd better get ready for—oh!" A scream that could easily compete with Sabrina's interrupts the sentence. I guess she noticed the slop merely touching her toenails. "Sabrina? An explanation?" Sabrina rolls her eyes, then answers,

"I'll clean it up." Sabrina then escorts her mom out of the room. Finally, after her mom is out and no one but Lupo and Skifter can hear, she finishes with added snark, pointing at me, "and you're helping."

After there's no trace of drool, I shake my best friend by her shoulders.

"Sabrina, I'm so stupid!" I yelp.

"What?! You aren't stupid! What are you talking about?" she snaps.

In a hushed voice, I respond, "Katy."

Sabrina clamps her hand over her mouth to keep from screeching. My poor poor sister Katy. I hadn't thought about her ever since I invited Sabrina over to my house. No, no, no! I think to myself. I grab my phone off the now clean carpet. My parents, they'll know how Katy is doing. I hit the power button. Nothing. I hit it again. Nothing. For what feels like hours I hit the button. Still nothing. Then I go insane. I throw my phone across the room; it lands in two pieces on the floor. Sabrina kneels down next to me, and I cry into her shoulder. We reenact the scene from yesterday, but this time, switching roles. After we break apart, Sabrina hands me her phone, saying, "Here, use mine." (her parents got her a new one) I wipe my nose on the tissue she hands me, and through an alternation of sobs and hiccups, I dial my dad's number.

He picks up, and before I can get any word in, he speaks, "Sabrina? What do you need? Is Christi all right? I'm busy right now." This shocks me. My dad is usually never busy. Instead of telling him the truth, that it's just Christi using Sabrina's phone, I decide to act like Sabrina. I hold my hand over the phone, and tell Sabrina I need to talk alone. I leave, and lock myself in the bathroom. I do my best to sound like Sabrina.