Chapter twenty

After hiking down the mountain with the last obol securely kept in Penelope’s clothing, the three of them mounted the Griffin again and journeyed to a neighbouring city to that of Arcadia.                                                                       

Megalopolis was a city west of Arcadia, with multiple thick forests.
The inhabitants of the city worshipped Pan – God of the wild, nature and rustic music. He had the hind legs and horns of a goat and was always heard playing the flute, more often than being seen.           

When they landed safely in Megalopolis, Nyctimus helped Iaso and Penelope descend the griffin and then thanked the bird for his assistance. The griffin grunted in response and flew away. “Have you often passed through the city of Megalopolis?” Penelope asked Nyctimus as they began trekking through the dense woodlands. “Once or twice. Although the Fauns here are welcoming and harmless, they prefer not to have any visitors”.                                                                       

Nyctimus looked at his surroundings with a solemn expression. “Things have definitely changed since I was last here. We should move quickly and quietly”. Penelope looked up at the trees. From what she had heard and read about this place, was nothing at all close to what she saw.
The forests in Megalopolis were eerie and desolate, a complete opposite in description to what she had learnt of this once vibrant and densely populated city.                                              

“What happened here? I thought this place was supposed to be straight out of a fairy tale novel”. “When my father ruled Arcadia, a peace treaty was signed by him and Elefaki, the leader of the tribe in rule of Megalopolis.
After my tribe was banished from Arcadia and our rival pack took over, the peace treaty had to be re-signed by the new wolf king of Arcadia; Lykio. Lykio called a meeting with Elefaki here in Megalopolis, but instead of coming to an agreement he murdered Elefaki and his family.
The remaining Faun’s were captured by Lykio for breeding as an endless supply of food”.                                                           

“I can’t believe it. Fauns are gentle and merry beings. How could he be so malicious?”. “It’s so obvious, Penny. Werewolves are wild, untameable creatures” Iaso sneered. “Seriously, Iaso, would you just stop?! I am sick of hearing this crap about Nyctimus. He is not like the others; can’t you see that?”.                                     

Iaso was downright shocked at Penelope’s outburst. Penelope never raised her voice at her friend.                    “Are you choosing him over me?” Iaso accused. “What? No, I’m not choosing anyone. Where are you going with this, Iaso?”. “I’m your friend, Penny, not him”. “Can we maybe discuss Iaso’s insecurities a little later? We’ve got company”.

Penelope looked in the direction where Nyctimus was looking. A few feet away stood a faun with a bloodied spear in his hand, the sign of Pan hanging around his neck. A faun was similar in build to that of Pan, except that they didn’t have any horns. “We don’t come seeking trouble” Penelope said and looked directly into the Faun’s eyes. “Yet, it seems, you do. The path on which you tread is full of danger, little God-ling”.                                                                                                                                            
Penelope frowned and looked at Nyctimus. When she was entering the dungeon in Zeus’ castle, another prisoner called her the same thing. The Faun must be confused as well. A daughter of a Titan Lord was rare, and so perhaps that was why she was misunderstood for a God’s descendant.  “Come forth, God-ling, my leader wishes to speak with you”. Penelope and Iaso hesitantly looked at each other, while Nyctimus followed the faun. “Come along” Nyctimus pressed and motioned them to walk towards him with his hand. “Don’t speak unless you are spoken to” Nyctimus hurriedly whispered to Iaso and Penelope.

The faun led Penelope and her friends towards a barren pond.
To the right was a tent made with animal skins, four fauns guarded the entrance. The faun that led them here nodded his head at the guards of the tent and then they all entered.
On the ground near a burning fire, sat a female faun with white markings all over her body. “I have heard whispers in the air about the daughter of the thief of the flame” She said and slowly got up from her seated position on the floor.                     

“That’s me” Penelope answered and took a small step forward. “Prove it” The faun said. Penelope looked around the small tent and then walked over to the fire. She then closed her eyes and cupped both of her hands together in the fire, filling her palms with burning flames. She focused on the flames and strengthened them to grow higher, the sound of Nyctimus drawing in a sharp breath, spurring her on.                                                                                       

Penelope saw the slight smile on the faun’s face and then clapped her hands together, dousing out the flames with a sprinkle of water. “Welcome to the city of Megalopolis, Penelope, daughter of the thief of the flame” The faun spoke, her smile growing. “Thank you”.                                            

“I am Nomimotita, Queen of Megalopolis, well, what’s left of it anyway”. “Queen Nomimotita, I am …”.  “Nyctimus, yes, the entire world knows that. Word spreads fast when a creature of low caste is associated with a Titan’s daughter. If your pack – Vasilikos, was not banished from their home, you would’ve been King. I do not know how much you know about the Greek Fates, but they put Penelope in your path for a reason. And that reason is to end the war between our cities. You still have a rightful claim to the throne, Nyctimus. You can openly challenge the Anomos pack for the throne and end the suffering for both of our cities”. Nyctimus narrowed his eyes in thought, a muscle in his jaw ticking away violently.                                    

“I know you might think that I am trying to only save the fauns of Megalopolis, but when you enter Arcadia, you will see how the rest of the wolves are living under Lykio’s rule”.    Nyctimus looked dejected, his shoulders sagging in defeat. “Is it the challenge that you are worried about, Nyctimus?” Penelope had both her hands on Nyctimus’ shoulders, her eyes directly looking at his. “It’s a fight to the death. If I don’t win, not only do I die, but all my friends and family die too. My mother might’ve left Arcadia in shame, but they will find her and kill her”.                                                 

“That’s only if you don’t win, Nyctimus. You will win. You have to, for your people. For the city of Arcadia and Megalopolis”. Penelope hoped that her speech was motivating enough for him to consider the challenge. “Penelope, I won’t be able to get you and Iaso through the city to the cave of Sibyl without being seen. If I am going to challenge Lykio, I have to do it the minute I enter. And if I lose the challenge, the two of you die as well”.    “Oh hell no! I am not letting my life hang in the hands on this wolf” Iaso insisted and shook her head.                      

“I can grant your companion safety while you and Nyctimus journey to Arcadia” The queen said with a happy gleam in her eye. “Really? Oh, I am so grateful, your highness”.
Penelope looked at Iaso and then at the queen. “Is this what you want, Iaso?”.   “Yes” She answered and dropped her back pack to the ground. “Here is Heracles’ arrows. You will need it more than me". Penelope took the arrows from Iaso’s hands and put them in her back pack.     

“Nyctimus? Are you ready?”.                    “I can’t guarantee your safety; you know that right?”. “Stop worrying about me, Nyctimus, worry about your people. I am trained in the art of war” She told him and gave him an encouraging grin. “You do not know the Anomos pack. Their methods are beyond barbaric. I cannot even imagine what they will do to you when they see you”. “I can take care of myself” She responded and then turned to look at the faun queen.    “Thank you, queen Nomimotita, for offering safety to my friend”.   

Penelope was still very annoyed with Iaso for all the things she had said about Nyctimus, but she knew that going into Arcadia with a wolf at her side, gave her no assurance that their lives would be spared. It was better if Iaso stayed behind. Penelope reached out her arms to Iaso and hugged her friend tightly. “Look after yourself, Iaso”. “You especially” Iaso replied while returning an embrace to her friend. Nyctimus opened the tent and thanked the queen for her time and left with Penelope following shortly behind.