Chapter fifty six

Once Penelope and Adonis caught up to Iaso and the wolves, they started walking deeper into Black Magic Alley. In due course, they reached a home resembling the description Circe had given them.                                                                        A huge brown feathered eagle was indeed keeping watch from the porch. The bird cocked his head and let out a peak call from his beak, and then he flew into the house.                                                                                                                                                   “Wait” Adonis instructed to Iaso and she ceased in her steps. Then the eagle returned to the porch shortly followed by a man with white blond hair and a bearded face.                                                                                                                                 

“Am I that significant that I receive a personal visit from the new king and queen of the Underworld?” He asked with an earnest smile, his lips vanishing beneath his wild moustache.                                                                                                             “Polydamas. I was sent here…”.                                                                                                              “By my friend, Hector. I see that he gifted you the armour”.                          Penelope nodded and smiled.                                                                                                                                                              “Please, come inside” He crooned and held out his arm for the eagle. Penelope and Adonis walked through first, followed by the others.

The interior of Polydamas’ home was inadequately decorated for a man of hero status, but then again he was living in a dark lane housing many unsavoury characters.                                                                                                                In the gloomy room was a single long wooden bench, an empty wooden display cabinet that hadn’t been maintained over the years, folded up newspapers littering around the feet of the cupboard. Spider webs capturing many dust bunnies decorated the corners of the room.                                                     Although Polydamas was only known to be a friend to the all-powerful Trojan, Hector, Polydamas was a hero in Penelope’s eyes.                                                                    He singlehandedly led 20,000 men to war before the Titanomachy, and although he was not triumphant during the Trojan war, he managed to inhabit a special place in Penelope’s heart.                                                                                                                

“Please, have a seat” Polydamas moved his hand in the direction of a long wooden bench. Penelope nodded and took a seat.                                                                       “I assume you have travelled all the way here to seek leadership for the war?”. “Who other than you to lead us, Lieutenant Polydamas?”.                                  Polydamas frowned slightly, he seemed to be taken aback by Penelope’s words.                                                                                                                                                         “I have not earned the right to be addressed by that title. It has been long since I’ve been victorious in the art of war. I’m afraid too much time has passed since I’ve last held a sword in my hand”.                                                                             Polydamas had his eyes down, regarding his open palm.                                                  “Yet, once you touch your battle weapon, you will know exactly what to do” Adonis said with an encouraging smile.                                                                                 “You are correct, in a sense, I suppose” Polydamas said, his brows furrowing in thought.                                                                                                                                         “Then fight with us. Lead us into another glorious battle, one that we are sure to win”.                                                                                                                                               A beam lit up Polydamas’ face.                                                                                      “Your courage alone is enthralling, Penelope. I feel that you will make a brilliant queen”.                                                                                                                    Penelope felt her cheeks blush at the compliment, Adonis’ proud eyes watching her.                                                                                                                     She cleared her throat and lifted her steely eyes to Polydamas.                                         “So will you? Lead us into battle?”.                                                                                           Seconds ticked by as Polydamas looked at everyone in the room before him. His eyes flitting from face to face, until they landed back on Penelope’s.                                He raised from his seat.                                                                                                                           “I will”.