Chapter forty six

Adonis shifted impatiently on his feet as he stood outside the hut, waiting for Penelope and Ochimus to return. Nyctimus, Iaso and Roy were sitting down in the fields chatting away freely.                                                                                                          He knew she was hurting before she left, possibly due to what Cercephus had said about her grandfather.                                                                                       Adonis had never met the God of craftsmanship and mortality, but he had heard plenty about the man and his temper.                                                                          

Back in the day, when Prometheus had created mankind, Iapetus was so proud of his son’s creation that he was the one to gift humankind with their mortality.                                                                                                                                        When Adonis was learning about the Titanomachy, Persephone had told him about Iapetus’ famed cowardice, as he stole a horse and deserted the battlefield along with his fellow warriors and family members.                                       Adonis questioned Persephone, asked her what kind of a person who do that? She told him that one should never be judged for their past, but for their willingness to change for the future.                                                                       Adonis hoped that Iapetus would come out of hiding on that Island and support them in the war.                                                                                                            If he cared about his granddaughter, he would, wouldn’t he?

Adonis wrestled his mind away from his thoughts when he noticed Penelope and Ochimus walking towards them. Penelope seemed crestfallen. He immediately went up to her.                                                                                                 “Hey, why that face?” He asked her softly.                                                                             “Let’s just get going, please” She said and walked passed him. Ochimus let out a long sigh and Adonis looked to him for answers.                                                                             “Iapetus might need some time and persuasion. I will talk with him again”. Adonis nodded and thanked him for his hospitality. Then he walked up the wolves and Iaso and called them. He eventually caught up with Penelope and asked her to talk to him.                                                                                                                             “Please, Penelope, talk to me”.                                                                                  He had his hands on her shoulders and then Penelope slumped her body against him and started sobbing into his chest.                                                                    “It’s ok, Penelope, it’s ok”.                                                                                                          
“He’s just so stubborn and he doesn’t care about his family! He’s a coward and…and…and an animal”.                                                                                                         

The corner of Adonis’ mouth curved up in amusement and he kissed the top of her head. He swayed her in his arms and rubbed his hands up and down the length of her back.                                                                                                                         “I’m just so tired of all this” Penelope said, her voice firm.                                                     “I know you are, I know. But we nearing the end of all this unnecessary madness. And…we’ll be seeing your father soon, I know how much you yearn to see him”.                                                                                                                                        “I miss him a lot, Adonis. I do”.                                                                                                                       “Yes, and that’s why you need to dry up your eyes and put your brave face on so we can journey to the sea”.                                                                                             Penelope looked up at Adonis and smiled. Then her forehead broke into a frown.                                                                                                                                “Do you remember where the Metaforeas are?”. Adonis laughed and then smiled.                                                                                                                                    “No, but I’m sure Nyctimus does”.