Chapter fifty nine

When Penelope and Adonis reached the hill where Zeus was, she looked back to the battle ground before she faced the God of the sky.                                                                              “Now, that’s prejudiced. Two against one?” Zeus frowned as he played with a lightning bolt between his fingers.                                                                                           “I think we should even out the odds, what do you say, my dearest daughter?”. Penelope’s eyes widened as the Goddess of wisdom made herself visible, taking off the helmet of Hades. Adonis growled at her.                                                      “That helmet does not belong to you”.                                                                                       “Yes, I suppose I should hand it back to you. Though I think there won’t be any need for that, since you and Penelope will both be breathing your last in a few minutes” Athena smiled smugly and held her sword in the air, admiring it.

Penelope didn’t wait for an invitation; she grew a flaming ball in her hand and threw it at Athena’s head, causing her to screech out as the fire burnt her scalp.                                                                                                                                                      She muttered a few crude words and thrust forward with her sword, aiming at Penelope’s neck, the only part of her body – apart from her feet – that was not protected by the gifted armour she wore. Penelope used the shield to knock Athena’s sword out of her hand.                                                                                             Zeus sneered at Adonis and ignited the lightning bolt, shooting multiple blazing bright arrows of light at Adonis. Adonis expertly used his sword to whack away the shooting bolts. One lightning bolt flew towards Penelope but she managed to duck just in time to save herself.                                                                                                          

What she didn’t see though, was Athena’s hurtling sword aimed at her feet. She yelped out in pain the minute the sword pierced through the leather of her boots and injured her foot.                                                                                                              Athena retrieved her weapon and then Penelope saw her chance. She conjured up a much larger fire ball and set Athena on fire. Her opponent screamed and then quickly dropped to the ground, rolling around in the dirt to douse out the flames.                                                                                                                                                    

Zeus ire increased when none of the lightning bolts he threw at Adonis touched him.                                                                                                                                     He ran towards Adonis with his sword and clashed it against Adonis’ a few times before he had the chance of slicing his skin.                                                                  Adonis gritted his teeth as the pain spread through the wound that Iaso had previously healed.                                                                                                                       Further along the edges of the hill, Penelope was able to make out Alex’s form. He was ferociously attacking another well-built man which could only have been Ares.                                                                                                                                      Her eyes flitted over to Athena, who had rolled away on the ground in an attempt to douse out the flames that alighted her body.                                                                                                                                             She walked after her, noting in the distance, below the hill on the opposite side of the dry battle grounds of Pedio Machis was a dense jungle surrounding a structure that resembled a sort of Temple - the words of the Oracle, sparking to life.