Chapter fifty

After some time passed, Delphin was able to swim, the wound on his shoulder, almost completely healed. Iaso on the other hand, had become slightly pale and weak from healing Delphin and so she depended on Nyctimus for support to swim through the sea to where the Kraken was.                                                          “We’re almost there” Delphin murmured when he noticed Iaso’s eyes drifting closed.                                                                                                                                            Nyctimus saw it too and picked Iaso up in his arms with an over dramatic eye roll.                                                                                                                                          

Something made Penelope think – with a smile – that Nyctimus would never let Iaso forget about this little favour.                                                                                          Delphin then slipped two fingers between his lips, blowing a sharp whistle. Minutes later a pod of Dolphins appeared around them, enclosing them in an oval shape, forming a protective barricade as they all swam ahead. Penelope looked at the Dolphins and then at her uncle.                                                                        “These are the Polemistis; the warrior dolphins. We will need their protection. The Kraken will be partially awake once the power of the ring has been activated. And that damned creature is not going to go down without a fight”. Penelope nodded her head in agreement with her uncle and looked at the dolphins on her side.                                                                                                                They were larger than most breeds, with specks of brown on their noses and dark focused eyes.                                                                                                                        If one gave them a quick glance from afar, they could easily be mistaken for vicious sharks.   

Earlier inside the cave, Penelope felt a tinge of unease while her uncle was speaking. He had betrayed her before, would he do so again?                                          She remembered what she had confidently said to Morpheus and Adonis. That if her uncle Delphin betrayed her once again, she would kill him.                                  

And she would. There was no time for prejudice for family members. Delphin whistled lowly at his dolphins – jolting Penelope out of her thoughts – indicating to them to slow down.                                                                                             “We have reached” Delphin said when the Dolphins stopped behind a large rock above a large ditch in the sea bed. Penelope looked at Nyctimus as he placed Iaso gently against the rock, her body limply falling against the soft sand. Nyctimus lifted his head up and inhaled deeply.                                                        “I smell blood; the Kraken’s I think”.                                                                                          “Yes, Wolf. I managed to injure the beast before fleeing for my life from my own sister!” Delphin muttered angrily.                                                                                 Penelope felt a hand enclose around hers and looked down to see Adonis’ large hands covering hers. She smiled up at him weakly. Then he removed his hand from hers and took the bag off his back.                                                                              

He fished out the armour she had been gifted by Hector of Troy and placed them into Penelope’s hands.                                                                                                 “You need to be wearing this”.                                                                                                 “I don’t think…”.                                                                                                                              “No Penelope. You heard your uncle, the Kraken will be awake when the ring is in use, and he can attack you at any time”.                                                                                Penelope contently sighed at the concern from the man she loved and held the armour up above her head.                                                                                                                      It was a silvered plain knee length loose robe with sleeves that were too long. She slipped the famed armour over her head and smoothed it down her body.                                                                 

And as she smoothed her hand over, the silver armour tightened around her body, forming and fitting and extending until the end of her fish tail. The sleeves, that were once too long, shortened by itself, fitting Penelope perfectly till her wrists.                                                                                                                            Penelope looked up to Adonis, who had a mirror image of her astonishment on his face. She instantly felt safer, even though her head and neck was now the intended target for her enemies to end her life.                                                                    “Be careful Penelope, please”.                                                                                                          “I’ll be fine. It’s you I’m worried about”.                                                                               “I’m skilled in the art of war, just like you are” He said with a wink and a smile. “We should make our way down to the creature. Pensie, we will have to leave Iaso here, so I will instruct two dolphins to guard her” Delphin said. Penelope thanked her uncle and then looked nervously at Nyctimus when she saw the uneasy expression on his face.                                                                                                      “What’s wrong Nyctimus?”.                                                                                                                  “I smell something else…company maybe”.