Chapter fifty three

When Penelope’s uncle Delphin had instructed Adonis to go with Nyctimus to the other end of the Kraken, he was not the least bit happy.                                                           Not only did he not trust Delphin, but now, looking at Nyctimus as they took their places side by side at the tail – end of the kraken, Adonis felt as though Nyctimus could not be trusted either.                                                                                             Not with that dangerous smirk barely hidden away on his fully bearded face. Adonis had no uncertainties about whether he could take him down. Nyctimus was but a mere breed of a dog.                                                                                                                  

Adonis stood with his flipper – feet firmly imbedded into the soft white sand, his arms folded across his broad chest, as he watched Nyctimus’ nails protrude into claws.                                                                                                                                     “Just in case” He said with a smile and tilted his head towards the sleeping beast.                                                                                                                                                        “So what did you feel when you were crowned as the King of the Underworld?”.                                                                                                                            Adonis had no intentions of entertaining small talk with the wolf while they waited in case the beast awoke.                                                                                                                  A few minutes ago, they heard Penelope’s caution and they both responded to her. They knew that the company that Nyctimus had sniffed out was already here and that made both Nyctimus and Adonis anxious.                                       “Accountable. Same as you, I assume?”.                                                                                “I’m not yet the crowned King of Atlantis. My mother needs to return back to the city to crown me first”.                                                                                                           Adonis nodded his head, remembering what Prometheus had said about having Nyctimus’ Beta scout the forests of Pagomenos.

Nyctimus cleared his throat and looked at Adonis.                                                                                           “Uhm…the way you died…was brutal”. Adonis looked at him and frowned at him questioningly.                                                                                                                        “I was there with Penelope, on Mount Lebanon…when she experienced what you went through as you died”.                                                                                                               Adonis couldn’t say anything, because then they heard someone laughing from behind them. Adonis looked over his shoulder at a man wearing a white and gold robe, a golden trident in his left hand. Poseidon.                                                                                    

“It’s a pity you couldn’t stay dead, would’ve made my life a whole lot easier, that’s for damn sure”. Nyctimus scrunched up his eyes at Adonis in question and Adonis stood up straighter, squaring his shoulders back.                                                                                              “Now where’s the fun in that, former king of the sea?”. Poseidon’s eye twitched at Adonis’ words.                                                                                                                  “I’d watch my tongue if I were you, you are still in my sea”.                                                        “The sea is no longer under your control, Poseidon. The sooner you accept that; the easier things will be for you” Adonis countered with a broad beam. “You dare mock me!” Poseidon bellowed, raising his trident.                                                         “Are you seriously challenging the king of the Underworld right now?” Adonis asked him, his tone uninterested.                                                                                    Poseidon didn’t answer him, instead he charged towards him, sparkly golden trident aimed at Adonis head. Adonis rolled onto the ground, to where the backpack was. Poseidon’s ire piqued when his weapon couldn’t penetrate Adonis.                                                                                                                                                     He glanced at Nyctimus, who stood casually with his back resting against the sleeping kraken, watching the show. Adonis stood up, raising his right hand with the Bident. Poseidon scoffed at his opponent.                                                         “Do you even know how to wield that thing?”.