Chapter thirty

Penelope stood in silence as she listened to Adonis and Persephone try to reason with Hades. The Elysian Fields were not as dangerous as the depths of Tartarus were, but going there would just be a waste of time. The Elysian Fields was a vast plane of meadows, red with roses reserved for the most heroic or virtuous souls, hero and man alike. Penelope focused in on the discussion Adonis was having with Hades.                                                                                                  

“My King, we are wasting time, you know this. So why send her all the way to the other side of the Underworld to be punished?”.                                                                 

“I won’t back down from my word, Adonis. This is the consequence for her actions and I have decided that she repent by spending time in the Elysian Fields. You still question my command?”. Adonis shook his head slowly in disdain.                                                                                                                                       
“I apologise. I will see to it that Penelope is well equipped for her journey and leaves shortly”. Adonis turned around, stood and looked at Penelope before making his way towards her.                                                                                                

“Come with me”.

Everything was happening all too fast for Penelope. One minute Adonis despised her and cannot stand her presence, the next he’s all over her, kissing and touching her. One minute she’s dressed up to the nines in a beautiful silk gown, the next she’s in the armoury, dressing up in battle gear.                                                   

“Why the Elysian Fields?” She asked Adonis as he helped her to pick her weapon. Adonis advised her to choose one, just in case she was run down on energy to use her abilities.                                                                                                                       

“There is surely a reason, but I dare not question him. I’m just glad that you aren’t going to Tartarus”.                                                                                                   

Penelope picked up a twin set of engraved silver daggers and moved them around in her hands.                                                                                                         
“These will do”.                                                                                                                                     
“I will have eyes on you from the time you leave this castle until you return. There will be no creatures wondering about, I will make sure of it. But the Elysian Fields are known for messing about with the living’s head. If something happens and you are unsure whether it is genuine or false, just close your eyes and lead with your heart” Adonis said and placed his palm to Penelope’s chest. Penelope looked up from his hand to his eyes and smiled at him gratefully.                                                                        

Penelope stood at the entrance of the home of Hades and clutched her arms in comfort against the cold strong winds.                                                                                                           

“Journey east with the use of this compass. It’s programmed to take you straight till the Elysian Fields, but while returning you will need to be aware of your surroundings. The dead trees will guide you back here”. Penelope had tied her hair up in a ponytail, but the cold winds whipped her hair annoyingly in her face.                                                                                                                              
“This is something you need to do on your own, and therefore I am unable to accompany you”. Adonis held Penelope in his tight embrace and then he let her go.