Chapter twenty one

Penelope and Nyctimus walked through the forests of Megalopolis closely behind each other, lending an ear out for any danger in the woods.
They soon passed by a foul smelling carcass of a deer, dozens of flies hovered over the dead animal. "He was killed a few days ago by a wolf" Nyctimus commented as he felt Penelope halt in her tracks.

"How can you tell?". "I can smell a wet mutt all the way from here".
Penelope gave one last look at the deer before walking on. Fauns were strictly vegans, and so they opposed any killing and consumption of other animals.
It suddenly seemed as an uncanny decision for wolves and fauns to be neighbours. But it must've been related to their ego's. King Lycaon didn't want to leave his city probably because his supply for protein was across the lake, and the former King of Megalopolis probably didn't want to leave either, because they would be portrayed as weak.
By now, Penelope could feel that the air was started to get colder as they neared Arcadia.

"It's most likely snowing in Arcadia right now". "Yes, it is. Do you think you will manage with the cold, I can give you my jacket?" Nyctimus said and unzipped his jacket. "I am fine for now, it depends on how heavily it's snowing there".

The route towards Arcadia became more taxing, as the path started going uphill. Her breathing pattern quickened and her limbs started to freeze. "How far do we have to go?" She asked while rubbing her arms to warm up her body. "Not too long and then we will be there". "Nyctimus, I think I will take you up on that offer for your jacket now". Nyctimus tilted his head back and laughed. "I told you earlier already to take it. Were you planning to freeze all the way up to the city?".
Penelope rolled her eyes at him and urged him with her hand to continue walking. "You know, I don't know if what we are doing is right, but I am glad I have you here with me". "I'm glad too. We both have been through a lot, you were there for me when I needed you and I'm here for you when you need me most". "If things don't go how we hoped, I'm so sorry, Penelope".
There was an obvious gloom in Nyctimus' eyes. "Whatever happens today, we will get through it, I know we will" Penelope said and looked Nyctimus dead in the eyes. "Penelope, we've reached".
Penelope looked at the lake surrounded by a snowy tipped mountainous plain. The two of stood at the foot of the lake. Huge icebergs floated through the river, breaking away with the force of the water. "It's beautiful. Which way to the city?". Nyctimus looked straight ahead of them and then without a word, pointed east.

Penelope heard the wolves before she saw them. They were a few feet away from where Nyctimus said the city was when they were surrounded by eight wolves. "Keep calm, Penelope. I won't allow them to hurt you" Nyctimus whispered as he and Penelope were encircled by the wolves. Penelope's heart hammered away in her chest as the pack of wolves growled at them. One of the wolves began shifting into his human form and soon the rest of them followed.
Penelope lowered her gaze to the ground.
"Don't do that. It is seen as a sign of submission" Nyctimus warned and indicated with his head for her to lift hers. Penelope wasn't a prude. She just wasn't accustomed to anyone being so openly confident by their bodies that they flaunted it proudly. "Nyctimus, you are no longer welcomed in this city" One guy with blonde wavy hair spoke up.
Another one, with his pack tattoo proudly inked on his shoulder walked up to Penelope and flicked her hair. "He's brought us a peace offering". "She's got his scent all over her, I can't scent her. What are you?" The guy at her side asked, looking all confused. Penelope looked at Nyctimus before she answered.

"My name is Penelope, daughter of Prometheus" She said confidently and looked the guy in his eyes.
A guy with a thick crop of brown hair walked up to the blonde guy. "Aieron, she's the one we've been hearing about. The one born to defy the Gods".
The blonde guy tilted his head back and laughed.
"Is that so, Roy?" He asked and then looked at Nyctimus. "Associating yourself with a Titan? You have some guts, Nyctimus. She's beautiful, King Lykio will approve". "She's not a gift to your King, Aieron. Her wish is to pass through Arcadia to the cave of Sibyl" Nyctimus answered stiffly. "She's on wolf territory, King Lykio will decide her fate" Aieron said with a dangerous smirk. "As for you, Nyctimus, should I explain to you what the word banished means?".
"I am here to rightfully claim my throne and challenge Lykio".
The minute Nyctimus spoke, all of the guys surrounding them started growling from the back of their throats. Aieron tilted his head towards Nyctimus and the guys cornered him off from Penelope. "Silas, strip the girl of this mutt's scent and bring her in". "What? What do you mean?" Penelope shrieked, but before she could even move her head in Nyctimus' direction, the guy with the pack tattoo on his shoulder was ripping the jacket and top off Penelope. "Was that really necessary?" She asked while shivering uncontrollably. "You smell like him. My King won't like that" Was all Silas said as removed the bag off Penelope's back.
Wearing just a thin tank top and her jeans, Penelope walked forward with Silas' strong grip on her arms.